1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Subterfuge v1.1

Submitted by Perfeks
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Subterfuge

-Introduction (2019 update)-
I introduce you an update of an old map of mine (it was originally called "Investigation"). It was very popular among its very small community (actually only my friends and some random people joining our games and begging to re-host it), but some flaws remained in the game for years: there were some bugs, it had some balancing issues, the number of players (2v2) wasn't very appealing and one team was actually less fun to play for most people. This is why, years later, I decided to completely remake this map, trying to get rid of all these negative aspects while also introducing a complete reskin (the original theme was about police officers against serial killers).

-Short description-
Demons must kill innocent civilians in a small town without getting caught by Demon Hunters. The Demons have all kinds of tricks to escape and mislead the Demon Hunters, but those have superior power and a whole army to keep the town safe.
  • Asymmetrical game
  • 2 teams
  • 2-8 players (auto-balanced)
  • games of 20 minutes max.

-Description-
Subterfuge is a short asymmetrical game in which two teams compete for different objectives by using all kinds of tricks and stratagems. Here, it is not about clashing amounts of damage against amounts of HP and whoever has more wins, but it relies mostly on subtle things like using tricky abilities, taking advantage of the line of sight, outmaneuvering your opponents and all the mind game around this (deceiving, bluffing and countering).

The game takes place in a small town filled with innocent people wandering around. The first team, the Demons, must kill a certain number of these poor souls before dawn to win the game. Each player controls a Demon and whenever it attacks a civilian, he will call for help (which translates into a ping on the mini-map). The other team, the Demon Hunters, who have superior means (a whole army in addition to their hero, actually), must stop the Demons by reacting to these pings. They win if they slay all the Demons or if dawn comes (which takes 20 minutes from the beginning) before the kill count is reached.

The Demons get gold and experience by killing humans. They can place Demonic Portals, the only place where they can spend their gold to buy items or units. They must be placed carefully, because they must be at the same time accessible and hidden from the Demon Hunters. The main deceiving ability Demons can use is Shape shifting, which turns them into a regular civilian, so they can wander around in plain sight and try not to look suspicious. Other tricks include the Mirror Image ability (which can be used to lure or escape) and different manners to turn invisible and escape dangerous situations. Also, a very important point is that the map is always fully visible for Demons. This gives them a huge advantage at escaping the Demon Hunters, but those also have some invisibility alternatives, so it does not mean they can see everything.

The Demon Hunters get gold and experience by collecting Lost Souls, which are dropped by civilians upon death, which means that tracking Demons (without catching them) is sufficient to become stronger. The basic strategy used by Demon Hunters is to use all their units to do all kind of maneuvers (walling, circling, patrolling) in order to corner the Demons. As the map is tile-based, it is rather easy to accomplish theses by placing units on nodes (road intersections). All units are important, but the hero (the Demon Hunter) is by far the most important piece on the chessboard, because he is the only one able to get rid of the Demons' tricks (revealing a shape shifted Demon, banishing a mirror image, revealing invisible units...). He also has his own tricks like teleporting anywhere on the map, revealing an area of the map or burning the target's mana. Noticing patterns in your opponents' moves can help you discover their build or locate their Demonic Portal (if you find it, you can set a trap there for example).

Generally, the success to this game is to try to read your opponent, discover his build and counter it. Demon builds can be sorted in 3 categories: fighting, evading and hiding. These builds can respectively be countered by 3 Demon Hunter build categories: fighting, chasing and scouting. To achieve this, all kinds of situational items and units are available for sale and the 3 hero attributes will serve that purpose as well.

-General feeling-
Playing as a Demon usually implies experiencing high stress (trust me on this one, this is really what people enjoyed about it) and feeling superior (repeatedly fooling the Demon Hunters is infinitely satisfying), whereas playing as a Demon Hunter implies experiencing high frustration (repeatedly arriving too late, seeing your target escape low HP, realizing you were chasing a mirror image etc...), but prevailing eventually (because good guys always win) feels really rewarding, especially if your plan was smart.

This map is really not "noob-friendly", so expect heavy whining if you host it and there's a skill gap between players. Balancing such an "unstable" game is really hard and people from both teams will often complain of it being "unfair". I'm still working hard on making it as balanced as possible.

-Miscellaneous-
  • All abilities and items are usually described in a brief and clear manner while also specifying exact data (e.g. range) for experts in Warcraft3 that are often lacking. There is also usually a little tip that explains how it can/should be used.
  • The game always balances its difficulty according to the number of players in each team (or at least tries to). This means that playing with any kind of players combination should be fine (1v1, 1v2, 2v1, 4v1 etc...).
  • If you start the game alone, an other fictive player in the opposing team will be created and you will have control over him in order to be able to see what this game is about ("testing mode").
  • The map features some kind of "editor protection" (sorry about that). However, I'll be glad to answer any question about its implementation and I'll probably release it as unprotected whenever I don't intend to keep it up to date anymore.
  • As all of my maps, no external resources have been used (except for the map preview made by myself).

-Conclusion-
I hope you'll enjoy this game and keep in mind that any feedback is welcome (as long as it is constructive). I'd also love to read your funny experiences and your ideas to improve the game.

-Keywords-
#demons #demon-hunters #trick #lure #stealth #hide #murder #disguise #shape-shifting #scout

-Changelog-
---v1.0 (09.07.2019)---
complete remake of the old map "Investigation"

---v1.1 (21.07.2019)---
  • Demons must now be next to a Demonic Portal to summon a Ghoul. It was too easy to overwhelm the Demon Hunters by spawning Ghouls everywhere (assuming you have multiple Demonic Portals) without taking any risk (you could just hide anywhere). I still want to keep a macro alternative to play this game, but having to stay at buy range of a Demonic Portal seems more reasonable.
  • The Remove ability of the Demon Hunters' units has been reworked. It is now called Recall and will order your unit to go back to the town center where they will be removed from the game. One could abuse the old ability by just removing your units just before they died (assuming Demons chose to fight), leaving no gold/experience. The ability also has new less confusing icon (thanks Deepstrasz).
  • Far Sight: mana cost reduced from 30 to 25, duration reduced from 5 seconds to 4 seconds
  • Sleep: mana cost reduced from 30 to 25
  • Various changes in tooltips
  • The townsfolk is no longer an "official team", so the map is now correctly labelled as an 8-player map.
  • Bug fix: All units are now invulnerable during the preparation time (recruited units weren't).
  • Bug fix: When a Demon uses Shape Shifting, all players who had it selected now have the new unit selected (Demon -> Civilian or Civilian -> Demon) and not only the player owning the Demon. This makes it more comfortable in particular when testing the game in solo mode (because you may not be the owner of the Demon).
Previews
Contents

Subterfuge v1.1 (Map)

Reviews
17:39, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
  1. 17:39, 13th Aug 2010
    ap0calypse: Approved

2. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm it would be more fun if there were more polices and killers^^

3. Perfeks

Perfeks

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think the killers are enough, because it's already sometimes a total mess when 2 killers are on a killing spree (murders are pinged on the map). For the police inspectors, they have a lot of other units under their command^^.

4. PuddelRunner

PuddelRunner

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ahh Perfeks you finally upload your map on hive :D
    I love it ^.^ (must play it again some time)

5. Hargoth

Hargoth

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Do many people play it online? I love the idea but i have the idea i cant realy play it till i find it on multiplayer.

6. Perfeks

Perfeks

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have some big fans, but they are a few^^. You're right. If you want to play it, you have to host it or wait until it becomes famous xD

7. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, it would be much better if there would be like 8 or maybe 10 players...

8. supertoinkz

supertoinkz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Moar players

9. tastywater

tastywater

Resources:
    Resources:
    Played it like 5 times in a row with my friend and some others.
    Anyways I think you get gold to slowl(As police)
    Maybe a third team of like normal citizens who can side with either the police or assasins could be added. Their goal should be to survive or something dunno.
    As police it's really hard to stop them sometimes and it is almost impossible sometimes to get something out of your income.

10. lulol

lulol

Resources:
    Resources:
    Testing...

11. Cweener

Cweener

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Approve
    2.5/5

Add more to the landscape.

12. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Killers could be more...
    MORE POWER FOR THE KILLER !!!

13. kennykickassss

kennykickassss

Resources:
    Resources:
    dose anyone play this bc i want to try it

14. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    If there are to be more killers and officers, the city itself must grow... a bit.

Also, the freaking killer ultimate does not work. Do you know how frustrating it was to waste 100 mana and fail? Possess does not work... Geez.

15. Perfeks

Perfeks

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Uh that's strange. The ultimate should work like it always did when I played. Make sure you use it on civilians and make sure not to move or not to do anything with your killer after casting or it will be cancelled indeed. Once you used it, select the civilian and control him. I'd like to hear a feedback to know if it's really not working.

16. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think I know why. I know that most channeling spells are canceled by moving, but still...

I think it is the "Hide" spell. Because as SOON as I start channeling, like instantly, the killer hides and the spell is canceled.

Also, I don't know if the people I played with are bad or something, but I always beat everyone on Easy (for cops) :D

17. dorian999

dorian999

Resources:
    Resources:
    the ultimate is not working really
    can you do the newer version with working ultimate?

18. Perfeks

Perfeks

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  19. dorian999

dorian999

Resources:
    Resources:
    It would be so cool if you release the new version. This map is my second place in my list:
    1.)DotA
    2.)Investigation 2.3b ;)
    3.)Uther Party
    So, until you release the new version I would play 2.3b.
    P.S.thank you for the original map ever