• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Strange black-screen problem with WE and Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I searched the forum pretty thoroughly and read the stickies and saw nothing like this:

When I use the World Editor and "Test Map", it loads Warcraft fine and loads the map fine. However when I exit Warcraft, the screen is black.

If I shut down the World Editor while Warcraft is loading, when I close Warcraft the screen is fine.

I cannot use Alt+Tab or any other method (such as mouse-button switching) to switch programs while the World Editor and Warcraft are both running.

If I run the World Editor, then run Warcraft separately, the same problem occurs. (in other words it has nothing to do with "Test Map" -- that's just the main problem).

If I cause my display to "refresh" -- e.g. select an icon to make it highlighted, open the Start Menu, hover the mouse over a button in Quick Launch or System Tray, or run a full-screen program such as Warcraft without the World Editor, the area that was altered will be shown. I can also always see the mouse, just not anything else. The mouse does not cause the screen to refresh. I cannot see the Start Menu button, but if I click it or press the button on my keyboard, I can see the menu. If I close the menu, I can then see a small rectangle of my desktop where the menu used to be.

Nothing can be done on the computer until I have pressed Alt+F4 to close the World Editor. This is the worst part; it makes it so I always have to close and re-open the Editor if I am testing a map and I need to make changes, which I always do.

I am using Windows XP with an NVidia GeForce 790 card (SLI enabled) and 2 GB of Corsair RAM with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Dual Core processor. I also have a RAID 0 configured hard drive. I have not tried messing with these configurations. I have tried running WC3 in OpenGL while the Editor is running, and it does solve the problem of the black screen, but I can't figure out how to make the World Editor test maps in OpenGL (the main issue) so I still need some help.

I have ruled out:

-Problems with the Test Map function
-Problems with a specific map

The problems could be caused by:

-My video card configuration (likely)
-Something else (probably)

I've tried to include as much information as I could think of but if there's more you need (if you're even going to help :grin:) just ask.

Level 4
It's probably a computer issue; the World Editor test function worked fine on my old one. I did try tweaking my video card settings as much as I thought safe, but still nothing. I think it's almost definitely a card problem, though, since the problem does not occur if I run Warcraft III in OpenGL mode.

Does anyone know a workaround or something so I can test maps quickly in OpenGL mode? It's kind of tedious turning off the World Editor every single time I need to test something. (which is often because I am not always sure how a projectile is going to look until I test the map.)

Status
Not open for further replies.