• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Story & Lore Contest: Poll

And the story is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So, I've gathered together the various ideas discussed over in the Theme
Discussion
thread, and here's the result. Bring out your quills, open those
notebooks and start spilling ink! It's time to fight for a theme.

1. Lore:

- Basically the idea is that form is freely chosen, but the limitation is that you
have to introduce the reader to something new. A society, a new race, a sect.
Something with structure and creative devices to influence the reader.

2. Struggle:

- Again, form is free, but the theme has to revolve around some sort of struggle.
A duel between two gladiators, or a war between two armies. Maybe even the
struggle against global warming? Creativity is key.

3. Brink:

- The idea here is to write a story about a society at it's brink, or anything at
it's brink. Something grand that's breaking, falling apart. Something dark.

4. First and Third Person:

- This theme has to do with writing the same scene twice, first in third
person, then seen from the eyes of a participant. Or vice versa, which
ever way you find a creative solution to utilize first and third person.

5. Free Theme:

- No theme.

6. Morbid Poetry:

- Basically the idea is poetry, I only put "morbid" there because he who
suggested it wanted dark poetry, though if this option is the most popular,
then I guess we could discuss whether it should be confined to darkness
or be open themed, as long as it's poetry.

Pick your font!

Level 36
It seems we've got a winner.

If anyone feels enthusiastic about kicking this contest into action, I invite you to go ahead
and make the contest. Considering my current working schedule it doesn't seem likely I'm
going to have the time to do so myself anytime very soon.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hrm, I just realized I probably couldn't get away with using some prior work of mine in this. I am not sure I'm going to be able to compete (lame, I know). We'll see, I suppose.

So is this a "Short Story" contest (as seen in the Archives) or something else? If someone were to make this, how would they/what template would they use?

Level 36
Can I ask one? Can I know what is Brink? It's looked nor feel like scary?

You can ask.
You can also read the entire thread before you ask, if you want.

3. Brink:

- The idea here is to write a story about a society at it's brink, or anything at
it's brink. Something grand that's breaking, falling apart. Something dark.

how would they/what template would they use?

What?

So is this a "Short Story" contest (as seen in the Archives) or something else?

Something like that, yes. Anything too long and we'll have a hard time finding judges... Or participants for that matter >.>

Level 16
Well we should first talk about the criteria, scoring, etc.

Delivery
How deep the lore goes and how nicely it was brought to the reader/25

Theme
How well you followed the theme/25

Creativity & Originality
The ability of the writer to create something new and interesting/20

Flow & Pacing
The writer's ability to pace appropriately./15

Eloquence
The beauty, efficiency, and function of the writers paragraphs and grammar/10

I am planning to make this contest happen very soon. "Lore" is clearly the elected theme.

The criteria:

Delivery
How deep the lore goes and how nicely it was brought to the reader.
  • Characters: Are there any characters involved? If yes, how well were they presented? Were their motives and actions clear and congruent to the events?
  • Objects/Locations: Are there any objects and/or locations involved? How vividly were they delivered?
/20

Theme
Did the story fit the theme of the contest?/20

Flow & Pacing
Did the story flow along smoothly without any part feeling rushed or empty?/20

Eloquence
How efficient was the writing style? Is it enhancing the aesthetical output of the story? Does it have grammatical errors that distract the reader?/20

I'm against originality and creativity - we are not writing a book seeking a publisher. It's very subjective and depends on what each person has read in the past.

Do we have any judges?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am planning to make this contest happen very soon. "Lore" is clearly the elected theme.

The criteria:

Delivery
How deep the lore goes and how nicely it was brought to the reader.
  • Characters: Are there any characters involved? If yes, how well were they presented? Were their motives and actions clear and congruent to the events?
  • Objects/Locations: Are there any objects and/or locations involved? How vividly were they delivered?
/20

Theme
Did the story fit the theme of the contest?/20

Flow & Pacing
Did the story flow along smoothly without any part feeling rushed or empty?/20

Eloquence
How efficient was the writing style? Is it enhancing the aesthetical output of the story? Does it have grammatical errors that distract the reader?/20

I'm against originality and creativity - we are not writing a book seeking a publisher. It's very subjective and depends on what each person has read in the past.

Do we have any judges?
All of those sound good to me; however, I would argue for the re-inclusion of "Originality & Creativity". The issue is not whether or not we are seeking a publisher. Yes, "O&C" is subjective, but most of those criteria are ("how well characters are presented", "how eloquent it is", etc).

Thing is, it's how O&C are defined. It's not a matter of making something ENTIRELY NEW; nothing like that exists. Rather, Originality & Creativity can be seen as "the new/unique combination & (re)interpretation of existing elements".

Harry Potter wasn't 'original' per say; 'hero's journey' stories & wizards & schools & bildungsroman stories have existed forever. Twilight wasn't 'original' per say; romance novels & vampires have existed for time immemorial. Hunger Games wasn't 'original' per say; 'coming of age' stories & deathmatches & survival stories have been around for ages.
Heck, Lord of the Rings wasn't 'original' per say; the 'conquest of the forces of good over the forces of evil' goes back to Genesis. : )

The point is, each of these came out at a time & in a way that was "creative" because they combined 'existing' elements into a new/unique manner; further, all of this was fed through the lens of the author. You or I could write a "Harry Potter" and come up with 2 different stories, simply because of the different life experiences we've had.

It's all about how well blended those 'sources of inspiration' are.

Level 2
All of those sound good to me; however, I would argue for the re-inclusion of "Originality & Creativity". The issue is not whether or not we are seeking a publisher. Yes, "O&C" is subjective, but most of those criteria are ("how well characters are presented", "how eloquent it is", etc).

Yup i agreed with you, creativity and originality doesn't only depends on what each person has read in the past. It is about how creative the person are, like what Kyrbi0 said on the O&C criterias

Will it be contest? Can I only post SCShot or map included?

I dont think it included a map because it said it's a writing of a short story, and of course it will be a contest if we have decided all things we need for the contest like;Rule,Judge,Deadline,etc. And i was wandering if we can include a picture / SCShot to tell the story more creative or somethings like that.

Last edited:
Level 16
I believe it's okay to put a pic as long as you don't use it to show the situation in the story rather than using words. For example:
The heroes finally saw the light of day after a long trek underground, and what they saw was truly marvelous. (Attach pic of a scenery here)
The heroes then continued on blah blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.