• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Stop Units' Decay Completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
In World Editor, how do you prevent dead units from becoming a distorted pile of blood and bones - and keep their dead bodies 'til all the way to the game's end?

I'm aware of the "Can raise, does not decay" option in the unit editor, but changing that value unit after unit is just too time-consuming and impractical. I know of the editing of constants, but as I remember, constants only allow a limited amount of time before the units' corpses disappear.

Can anyone help me out here? If it involves trigger, please be so kind and describe the trick in the details, since I've never experimented with triggers before, and frankly I don't really know how they work :vw_death:

Level 25
In the gameplay constants there are two fields, one for flesh and one for bones.
Increase the flesh one and it will keep the bodies.

HOWEVER.
Have too many dead units ingame and they will start to glitch out, I've had corpses starting to attach themselves to nearby units when there were too many dead units.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Have too many dead units ingame and they will start to glitch out, I've had corpses starting to attach themselves to nearby units when there were too many dead units.
That has nothing to do with number of dead units but rather there being too much to render. The same happens with too many alive units in sight at once.

Dead units are more a problem for performance. They not only still consume memory and a handle index but also are involved in area searches so slow those down as well.

Level 25
"That has nothing to do with number of dead units but rather there being too much to render."

I would say having a lot of dead units to render on the screen has something to do with rendering a lot of units on the screen.

So having a lot of dead units on the screen makes it easier to reach the amount of units on the screen limit, than not having a lot of dead units on the screen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I would say having a lot of dead units to render on the screen has something to do with rendering a lot of units on the screen.

So having a lot of dead units on the screen makes it easier to reach the amount of units on the screen limit, than not having a lot of dead units on the screen.
The limit is scene complexity and not units. After a certain scene complexity all kinds of weird stuff happens. This is likely a result of limits of the Direct3D 8 API (and OpenGL counter part) which WC3 used. The Tauren Chieftain model is most infamous of this with all it taking is a few hundred on screen to cause a swirling mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.