• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Steam_Shield_Tier1

Basic Steam powered shield using only ingame textures. !!Animated!!
Right hand shield (Attachment point= "hand,right")

If someone needs a Left Hand version of the shield let me know so I can add it to this bundle.

11-Nov-2013
  • First submission
  • Old Image
full

22-Aug-2017
  • Reworked most of the meshes of the Activated Shield (right hand).
  • Added StandyBy version of the shield (right hand).
26-Aug-2017
  • Added item version and some extra images.

Keywords:
Metal, Shield, Gear, Equip, Metallic, Protection, Shielding,Tier, Steam, Steampunk, Cog
Previews
Contents

SteamShield_T1_(item) (Model)

SteamShield_T1_(rightHand)(Activated) (Model)

SteamShield_T1_(rightHand)(StandBy) (Model)

Reviews
19:08, 24th Jan 2014 Kwaliti: A rather interesting design. Approved.

M

19:08, 24th Jan 2014
Kwaliti:

A rather interesting design. Approved.

Okay, but... What exactly is the purpose of having the shield be steam-powered? I mean that power doesn't seem to actually be doing anything.

And why the huge gaps inside the shield? It's not going to block anything like that, it's basically a hoola-hoop with a few bracelets inside of it. People will just stab/shoot through those massive openings all over the place.

It's a "different" idea, yes, but still rather useless in my opinion, sorry.

You should fill the gaps with something so that the open spaces are too small for anything to go through them, and the "steam power" should actually do something, right now it's like putting batteries in a buckler and calling it "electric" while it still pretty much just sits there doing the same thing it did before. "Rotating gears inside" doesn't really serve any actual purpose to it as a shield. Maybe the "steam power" could push the center of the shield outward every now and then in the stand animation, or even give it a separate animation that people could use which would push it out at will.

I look forward to giving this creative model a high rating in the future; I really like it but these problems prevent me from giving it a good rating due to it not really being useful at all because of them.

It gets a 3/5 for now, but believe me, I love it; you fix those issues and it'll easily get a 5/5 from me.

Level 18
Thanks for the feedback.
Yep I saw in the big gaps a non-sense for a functional shield. My first idea was to add a energy shield kind of finish for those areas, but to remain truth to the Steampunk idea I will do a more direct approach. (Increase the number of gears in the internal ring, make them solid, and reduced as much as possible the spacing between them) Also routing the wiring from behind the shield.

As for the steam functionality, I am currently working on some spikes and blades that look pretty much baddass. My idea is to leave current animation (slow turning of all 3 rings) for the OFF state, and add quicker turns and blades over the shield for the ON state.

I hope to finish the update this weekend, and have another round of feedback.
:ogre_datass:

Level 30
Okay, but... What exactly is the purpose of having the shield be steam-powered? I mean that power doesn't seem to actually be doing anything.

And why the huge gaps inside the shield? It's not going to block anything like that, it's basically a hoola-hoop with a few bracelets inside of it. People will just stab/shoot through those massive openings all over the place.

It's a "different" idea, yes, but still rather useless in my opinion, sorry.

You should fill the gaps with something so that the open spaces are too small for anything to go through them, and the "steam power" should actually do something, right now it's like putting batteries in a buckler and calling it "electric" while it still pretty much just sits there doing the same thing it did before. "Rotating gears inside" doesn't really serve any actual purpose to it as a shield. Maybe the "steam power" could push the center of the shield outward every now and then in the stand animation, or even give it a separate animation that people could use which would push it out at will.

I look forward to giving this creative model a high rating in the future; I really like it but these problems prevent me from giving it a good rating due to it not really being useful at all because of them.

It gets a 3/5 for now, but believe me, I love it; you fix those issues and it'll easily get a 5/5 from me.

I want to change your point of perspective a little bit. The function of the steam power can still be up to our imagination.

For example one could download this model, use it for a shield in the map and add to the tooltip:

Passive: When struck, the shield has a 20% chance to perform a piston motion that stuns the enemy for 1 second.

I want to change your point of perspective a little bit. The function of the steam power can still be up to our imagination.

For example one could download this model, use it for a shield in the map and add to the tooltip:

Passive: When struck, the shield has a 20% chance to perform a piston motion that stuns the enemy for 1 second.

That is a good point, so I guess this still could have use. Still, it would be nice to see it given an animation that actually makes use of the steam, and the huge gaps make it not really have much purpose as a shield.

Level 4
Sweet shield. Nice concept, love steampunk. Looking forward to see new stuff from you.

Level 18
Well after many years, I'm back to update this shield into something more useful.

Edit: new version of the Steam Shield T1 is uploaded. Now the steam is used to make the plates retract or spread, thus allowing the shield to have Compact and Activated forms.

PS: pls let me know what you think of this new design. Also I have in my do list a floating item form of the model, just to add a bit more usability.

Level 2
This is awesome. I love steam technology as a fun fantasy playground and I wish there was more stuff on the hive. I don't have a type unit in mind for it at the moment but I really do encourage any and all steam models.