1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Steam_Shield_Tier1

Submitted by Astaroth Zion
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Basic Steam powered shield using only ingame textures. !!Animated!!
Right hand shield (Attachment point= "hand,right")

If someone needs a Left Hand version of the shield let me know so I can add it to this bundle.

Change Log

11-Nov-2013
  • First submission
  • Old Image
[​IMG]

22-Aug-2017
  • Reworked most of the meshes of the Activated Shield (right hand).
  • Added StandyBy version of the shield (right hand).
26-Aug-2017
  • Added item version and some extra images.

Keywords:
Metal, Shield, Gear, Equip, Metallic, Protection, Shielding,Tier, Steam, Steampunk, Cog
Previews
Contents

SteamShield_T1_(rightHand)(Activated) (Model)

SteamShield_T1_(rightHand)(StandBy) (Model)

SteamShield_T1_(item) (Model)

Reviews
19:08, 24th Jan 2014 Kwaliti: A rather interesting design. Approved.
  1. 19:08, 24th Jan 2014
    Kwaliti:

A rather interesting design. Approved.

2. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Reserved to post extra content :D

Edit: I am still not sure about the black gears, they seem to fade ingame, maybe replace them with more steam tank gears (like the central one, but with only a flat plane). What do you think Hive?

3. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wow, this is nice. a quite creative attachment :)

i just don't like the curved pipe things. the gears alone might be better.. or give it a static round shape along the outer gear. and replacing the black little gears for yellow ones might be a good idea as well.

4. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, but... What exactly is the purpose of having the shield be steam-powered? I mean that power doesn't seem to actually be doing anything.

And why the huge gaps inside the shield? It's not going to block anything like that, it's basically a hoola-hoop with a few bracelets inside of it. People will just stab/shoot through those massive openings all over the place.

It's a "different" idea, yes, but still rather useless in my opinion, sorry.

You should fill the gaps with something so that the open spaces are too small for anything to go through them, and the "steam power" should actually do something, right now it's like putting batteries in a buckler and calling it "electric" while it still pretty much just sits there doing the same thing it did before. "Rotating gears inside" doesn't really serve any actual purpose to it as a shield. Maybe the "steam power" could push the center of the shield outward every now and then in the stand animation, or even give it a separate animation that people could use which would push it out at will.

I look forward to giving this creative model a high rating in the future; I really like it but these problems prevent me from giving it a good rating due to it not really being useful at all because of them.

It gets a 3/5 for now, but believe me, I love it; you fix those issues and it'll easily get a 5/5 from me.

5. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I agree with TLI-inferno, make the steam power functional.

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Very interesting. Agree'd with above comments.

7. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yep I saw in the big gaps a non-sense for a functional shield. My first idea was to add a energy shield kind of finish for those areas, but to remain truth to the Steampunk idea I will do a more direct approach. (Increase the number of gears in the internal ring, make them solid, and reduced as much as possible the spacing between them) Also routing the wiring from behind the shield.

As for the steam functionality, I am currently working on some spikes and blades that look pretty much baddass. My idea is to leave current animation (slow turning of all 3 rings) for the OFF state, and add quicker turns and blades over the shield for the ON state.

I hope to finish the update this weekend, and have another round of feedback.
    :ogre_datass:

8. Sunchips

Sunchips

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I want to change your point of perspective a little bit. The function of the steam power can still be up to our imagination.

For example one could download this model, use it for a shield in the map and add to the tooltip:

Passive: When struck, the shield has a 20% chance to perform a piston motion that stuns the enemy for 1 second.

9. NourmeusXL

NourmeusXL

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Moar tiers!!
    5/5

10. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That is a good point, so I guess this still could have use. Still, it would be nice to see it given an animation that actually makes use of the steam, and the huge gaps make it not really have much purpose as a shield.

11. Mr.Bear

Mr.Bear

Resources:
    Resources:
    i love steampunk <3

12. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Almost a month, and I still don't have free time and working laptop at the same time.

Got the changes planned, this weekend witout miss I will update the shield.

13. wester

wester

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sweet shield. Nice concept, love steampunk. Looking forward to see new stuff from you.

14. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Well after many years, I'm back to update this shield into something more useful.

Edit: new version of the Steam Shield T1 is uploaded. Now the steam is used to make the plates retract or spread, thus allowing the shield to have Compact and Activated forms.

PS: pls let me know what you think of this new design. Also I have in my do list a floating item form of the model, just to add a bit more usability.

15. Sloane Ranger

Sloane Ranger

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is awesome. I love steam technology as a fun fantasy playground and I wish there was more stuff on the hive. I don't have a type unit in mind for it at the moment but I really do encourage any and all steam models.

16. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Thanks Sloane Ranger I am thinking on adding some more attachments, and then hopefully start creating some steampunk-ish units.

PS: Added Item Version of the shield and a couple of images.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  17. emperor_d3st

emperor_d3st

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is a lovely concept. Gonna use it in a map that centers around an engineer hero. Love ya!