• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Steam games cant launch using older Nvidia driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
My laptop is acer e5-473g, with gt940m. Already using latest driver last month and always been fine.

But, i heard that, for laptop, its better use driver given by the manufacturer, because they optimize it for the set. So I download the driver from acer website, remove nvidia driver with ddu, then install older version. Its 381.99

I can play Sims 4 normally, also Apex Legend also with 480p res. But when I use 720p, i think it cause overheat and my gpu stuck at 290mhz.

The main problem is, i cant launch any games from steam. It can launch with intel hd.

So, I just install the new driver back (from NVIDIA folder in C:, because i forgot where i put the exe). Then its work now.

So, what is this? Why steam cant use older driver? The driver is from 2017. When i just bought the laptop 2 years ago everything was fine.

Also, is it really bad to use the new drivers? Is there really “tweak” from manufacturer?

I know its better to post this on other proper computer forums, but i only join this forum ._.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
So, what is this? Why steam cant use older driver? The driver is from 2017. When i just bought the laptop 2 years ago everything was fine.
Because the drivers are old, buggy and missing features added since 2017. Especially with respect to Vulkan which was still quite new back then.

Also, is it really bad to use the new drivers? Is there really “tweak” from manufacturer?
That is only the case for OEM graphic cards/chipsets which were designed specifically for use and requirements of one company. For more generic chipsets the generic drivers will work perfectly and are recommended.

Usually the actual tweak drivers are "performance optimizer" or other such keyword which act to compliment the power management of the OS and optimize battery life and performance as appropriate by controlling operating clock and voltage levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.