• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New GPU Drivers Years after Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So my laptop is like 4 years old. Using a Nvidia geforce GT 525M. Yup, its a few generations old. I haven't kept my GPU drivers updated within the last 6 or so months and a few new versions have been released.

Is there any point to these new updates now? I doubt these updates are targeted at the old generation GPU's. A few updates after the initial release and the GPU should run fairly bug free and smoothly right? Would these updates now just add clutter and reduce performance, or would they actually improve performance?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is there any point to these new updates now? I doubt these updates are targeted at the old generation GPU's. A few updates after the initial release and the GPU should run fairly bug free and smoothly right? Would these updates now just add clutter and reduce performance, or would they actually improve performance?
They can add new features and can improve performance. However once the card is out of their mainstream development line (mentioned in the release notes) they will not really improve it anymore. Even still you should occasionally update as the drivers do deal with incompatibilities and contain specific game optimizations which can help. Software also can see driver versions so it is possible they will refuse to work if the driver is too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.