• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stasis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I need a spell similar to Stasis from Starcraft Broodwar (Protoss Arbiter).
All units hit by the aoe spell will be frozen (Freezing Breath effect), cant move and will be invulnerable for a certain time.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, I don't really have a place for it as of yet. However, you're free to build it. :p

Basically, you need to freeze everything into sort of an "out of game" state (like the Arbiter's "Stasis Field"). The closest non-trigger way to accomplish that would probably (like you mentioned) be the Frost Wyrm's "Freezing Breath" (something I've been wanting to use), set to target everything (ground, air, units, heroes, bldgs, etc). This causes the target to be completely out of action for the Duration (that you set); can't move/attack (can't teleport? can't be healed? I think...). Heck, the normal sfx are even close enough to the Arbiter's that it should be good (though you can certainly poke around for something more fitting). Give this mod. Freezing Breath ability to a dummy attacker (just like a dummy caster, but with an attack).

The next step is creating your dummy attackers in the right manner, and having them attack each and every unit in a given AoE. (Remember that since you can't lower a unit's attack straight to 0, you'll need an additional passive "Attack +1" ability set to "-1" (or whatever it takes to get to 0) so they don't actually deal any damage). The question is, how to get them, and how to have them attack what you want, and how to get rid of them. No triggers should be needed. Thoughts?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You still need a trigger because the units will be vulnerable. Stasis makes them invulnerable.
That's true, isn't it? Gosh, been a while since I played Wc3, I forgot that. I also forgot that's what Stasis does (although you mentioned it in your first post, I see, I must've skimmed that. :p).

Well in that case, you have two options: Attempting to more closely mimic Stasis, or settle for being vulnerable.

If you go with the former, then off the top of my head I don't think my "pure-OE" idea will work, you're right. :p That's ok.
I don't know if there's an ability that gives... Well, maybe +100000 armor (give the Dummy Attacker a reverse "drain armor on attack" ability), but invulnerability? Locust could work, but that makes things tricky (also have to keep track of that group somehow).

Then again, using Dummy Attackers, if you just make them last the entire duration of the spell, you can use "unit is attacked" as your Event to catch... Which means you can avoid Waits and setting unit groups to a variable and all that. Which means you can simply add the "Invulnerable" ability to each unit that gets Attacked by the Dummy Attacker with the Stasis Buff, and remove it when they don't have the buff. That's just one quick If/Then/Else trigger.

Not 100% sure, but try that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.