• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[AI] Starting and Stopping AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
In my map, the AI controlled units will make small, stilted advances, and will sometimes just watch you pass, and will not attack once.

I saw this issue with both having a "select all units owned by Player 12 and order pick unit to attack-move to region1" scripting, and with just having the enemy see the whole map, and having all the units have the maximum aquisition range (20000). As I stated before, the AI units will get close (or it may happen the whole time, I only see it when they are close), and will make short advances, and will stop and ignore you, except for turning to face you, until about 3 seconds later, to where they will pursue you a short distance before stopping again. With the 20000 aquisition range, I have no triggers telling the units to go anywhere, so I do not know what is causing the AI units to stop, because it is not triggers.

I saw an old thread at the back of this forum where someone had the same problem, but the question was not answered, and the thread was closed. The only reply was "it may have something to do with WC3's unit AI, and I don't know how to fix that." Does anyone know how to fix it? Has any advance been made?

I'm looking for a smooth pursing AI, such as the AI in SWAT: Aftermath, where the enemies are constantly pursuing you, and don't stop. There are often very many units in this game, and I do not see the AI stopping, so I don't think it's too many units causing lag.

If anyone has any answers to my problem, I would greatly appreciate it, because the AI stopping is definately the biggest bug preventing fun gameplay right now.

Level 4
I'm not a pro at AI at all, but this looks more like a unit problem rather than AI, and maybe many units are the problem after all. Have you tried disabling formation movement? If that doesn't help, your problem is above my level, but at least I tried.

Level 4
This is most likely caused by severe limitations in Wc3's pathing engine. However, I have heard that splitting the units between multiple players sometimes helps, since each player seems to have a limit to the number of units moving at a given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.