• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft II -> WarCraft II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hi, there ! :) I've been thinking of moving on and switching to SC2 for modding as Warcraft III although a GREAT game and GREAT lore it's outdated at least for me it is. I want to recreate the classic Warcraft II experience with enhanced game-play with new models made by me along with icons and sounds via Galaxy Editor. Something like Scars of Conflict but in a new engine. It would be a completely total remake with focus on macro-management instead of micro like in Warcraft 3. I have just some questions:

1. Is the Galaxy Editor powerful enough and how do I work with it ? I have experience in C++ as I understood that's how it works basically.

2. Is there a guide on Hive Workshop for creating models and icons for SC2 ? I have some experience in creating models and icons even though I have not posted any pf them here. Also what is the recommended number of pollies for a model ? I'm used to creating high poly models like between 1500 and 1800 pollies on average.

3. What are your opinions on this project ? Should I start it or not ? Just think of WarCraft II but in HD models and icons :) I love that SC2 engine allows me to create high poly models. Also why aren't there sections for models and icons for SC2 in the resources sections ? There are but they're not organized.

4. How does AI programming work in SC2 ? Can I make the AI use naval ships and stuff like that ? Please explain in as much detail as you can.

If anyone would like to join in with me just PM. :)
That's all for now ! Cheers !

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Is the Galaxy Editor powerful enough and how do I work with it ? I have experience in C++ as I understood that's how it works basically.
The StarCraft II Editor is very flexible. As long as you do not ask for an extreemly accurate port of WC2 (including crap path finding and 2D like feel) it should work fine. C++ has nothing to do with the editor although it does use galaxy script which is C like.

2. Is there a guide on Hive Workshop for creating models and icons for SC2 ? I have some experience in creating models and icons even though I have not posted any pf them here. Also what is the recommended number of pollies for a model ? I'm used to creating high poly models like between 1500 and 1800 pollies on average.
I beleive there are tutorials for icons and textures. Basically all you need is a DDS converter like those that are available as plugins for most art tools or as part of the DirectX SDK. Models are more tircky as there are no offical plugin sets (or art tools) from blizzard meaning you have no choice but to find plugins for various model editors. 1500-1800 pollies is fine for a SC2 models on ultra if you do not intend to over use them (having 100s visible at once).

3. What are your opinions on this project ? Should I start it or not ? Just think of WarCraft II but in HD models and icons :) I love that SC2 engine allows me to create high poly models. Also why aren't there sections for models and icons for SC2 in the resources sections ? There are but they're not organized.
Sounds like a lot of work. You will be lucky to finish it and even then you are looking at years after LotV. Not that you are not able to, just one can not predict the future and something with a higher piority might take over your time from the project. It is always advisible to atleast get a friend onboard with a project so he can take over if you are no longer able to work on it.

The SC2 resource system is meant to be temporary and may be replaced in the future with a better system.

4. How does AI programming work in SC2 ? Can I make the AI use naval ships and stuff like that ? Please explain in as much detail as you can.
AI is made using galaxy script. The AI does support drop ships within reason (they will hunt you down in melee if you are on an island). "Ships" in the sense of naval vessals are not supported by SC2 and have to be simulated by using land pathing in a restricted way (to make separate pathable regions but no way to cross them).

Level 17
Ok, thanks for your response, I would have loved to get to work on that but if you say that there is no support for good naval combat then I don't really want to anymore. I think I might just start a little project first and see where that leads...I might be able to pull this off as my regular time already includes the computer :)) and modelling.

As long as you do not ask for an extreemly accurate port of WC2 (including crap path finding and 2D like feel) it should work fine
No way, not intended in that way, just Wacraft 2 in SC2 with WC2 models. :)

"Ships" in the sense of naval vessals are not supported by SC2 and have to be simulated by using land pathing in a restricted way (to make separate pathable regions but no way to cross them).

If that's the case I'll create new units to improve transport and combat, maybe I'll focus on air instead of land.

You will be lucky to finish it and even then you are looking at years after LotV
What is LotV ? Sorry if I don't understand...

It is always advisible to atleast get a friend onboard with a project so he can take over if you are no longer able to work on it.

Yeah that's why I stated if anyone is interested (modeller, texturer, terrainer, etc) can PM me. :)

I think its SC2's second expansion. Legacy of the Void. Next year we are getting HotS, SC2's first expansion Heart of the Swarm.

Keep in mind the expansions are not as one would expect from an expansion, such as the frozen throne.
They are not modifying any units (to my knowledge), only adding to the campaign and possibly adding some special campaign units for Zerg (then Protoss) such as the Goliath for Terran.

I don't seen how LotV will hinder his progress. I doubt Blizzard will re-preform mistakes of the past by rendering all maps pre-patch useless and buggy (vJass ftl?).

I think it's a great idea. I personally would love to play WC1 and 2. I even tried to run them before, but WC1 needs DOS and is very difficult to start up (not to mention the graphics nowadays are just lol worthy). No point in even trying to play the second one for lore if I cant even get the first one going.

Though I do already know the stories :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Keep in mind the expansions are not as one would expect from an expansion, such as the frozen throne.
Yes they are prety much complete new games.

They are not modifying any units (to my knowledge), only adding to the campaign and possibly adding some special campaign units for Zerg (then Protoss) such as the Goliath for Terran.
Someone clearly has not read the main page news item... Carrier and mothership have been removed, 3 new air units added to protoss. Terrans have gained 1 new unit, 1 respeced unit (thor is now a super unit) and a new unit transformation (for the hellion). Zerg have many new upgrades and 2 new units. Additionally, nearly all the campaign content is brand new with HotS brining dozens of new zerg unit models and variations as well as entirly new tilesets (no WoL tilesets were reused). This is not to mention how blizzard DotA, an entirly parallel game is being built into SC2 (it will have its own ladders and contests hosted by blizzard). The game engine itself is being enhanced with creep now crawling up enemy buildings (like in early alphas again) and even a new physics engine allowing snake like movment (used by the new zerg viper unit). Graphics are also revamped for even better looking campaigns (as if WoL looked bad).

LotV will probably do the same, expect we can probably expect eithor even more content if the engine is not altered much or the engine being expanded even further.

I forgot to mention that rejoin support is planned for a patch some where between HotS and LotV. Yes this feature will allow you to join a game in progress (such as if your PC crashed or internet went down for a minute). It may even allow sessions to run on for days if different people can take someone's place.

Yes they are prety much complete new games.

Someone clearly has not read the main page news item... Carrier and mothership have been removed, 3 new air units added to protoss. Terrans have gained 1 new unit, 1 respeced unit (thor is now a super unit) and a new unit transformation....

Damn.. all I knew was hear-say stuff.
Now I can't wait for the expo =P

Status
Not open for further replies.