• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Starcraft Archon-style SFX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So I was doing a bit of lite-MDL editing via Magos the other day... Kinda wanted to recreate the classic Starcraft (1) Protoss Archon-style "bluish-white cloud of psionic energy" thing.

archon.gif
Archon.gif
archon14.gif
default.jpg

Specifically, rather than big bulky flames or rapid burning clouds, I'm trying to simulate the ceaseless, undulating puffiness & plasma-burn-iness of the (supposedly) super-psionic energy-shield-whatchmacallit.

I tried drawing some inspiration from this excellent model, and adding it to some random Troll warrior I have been tinkering with (attached below)... But aside from the various difficulties tweaking it to be just right, I find that no matter what, it's still "bulky, puffy, rapid burning clouds".

(This isn't the end-game, either; once I successfully emulate the Archon, though, I feel that'll be just a few tiny tweaks (color & such) away from what I'm really trying to get... But more on that later :p)

Any thoughts? Better texture, better tweaking, certain fields in the Node Editor I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ARCHON.mdx
    126.4 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.