• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

squad units thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
is there a way to like put togheter like 5 units so they move like one big one?

if anyone has played Company of heroes you will understand better, instead of just controling 1 unit there is like 6 units in one squad.

Level 39
Important question: should units be able to form squads dynamically or is it like you build a whole squad at once from your barracks? If the former i'm not sure it's gonna be very easy at all, but if the latter I see a possible way. Maybe someone else has a simpler idea but the way I see it you'd have to make a system yourself. Here's a thought:
  • Every unit needs to have two variations--actually separate units in the OE. The model-less 'squad' you build with your buildings that is attacked by units and the 'single' unit which will move around and actually attack for you.
  • Squad: Keep health damage, armor, abilities, etc. on here but note that damage is only for display purposes and will also need to be set on the singles.
    • blank model or maybe alpha set to 0% on whatever model you want them to have.
    • Set its acquisition range to 0. I believe this will work, but it might also make it walk on top of any unit you specifically tell it to attack... or not allow it to walk at all. If this is the case you could try 1 too.
  • Single: a few key changes from squad
    • Give it Locust ('aloc')
    • Regular 0% transparency (aka alpha)
    • Hold shift and double-click "selection scale" so you can set it to -1. (disallows selecting that unit)
    • Set its attack damage to be 1/Nth of the Squad attack damage, where N is the number of units in the squad. (so the dps is what the squad's card says)
Then use Vexorian's Independent Summons with the 1.24b update fix to summon N singles when the squad is built (and maybe kill them when they die, idk if the system automatically does/supports that). Tweak the distance functions so the singles stay pretty close to the squad units. You'll have to have a big if/else tree on unit entering map but aside from that it's doable. If they can't be made permanent summons then you can just create the N single units yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.