• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Okay I'm going to rewrite this whole thing, because I have a solution now thanks to the below gents (and/or ladies), but it doesn't work!

I copied over the ability true sight (flying machine) changed the detection to burrow.

Tested it, and my Druid saw neither (burrowed) crypt fiends nor (ghost) wisps! Okay, try it the other way...

Set the ability to detect invisible, and guess what? My druid saw both burrowed and ghost! He was not a halfway measure Druid.

For some reason it seems that burrowed and ghost are both technically using the invisible classification. And there is actually no option that I saw that allowed me to change the classification on the abilities.

Does anyone have an insight?

Last edited:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
How about redoing the True Sight (human tower ability) ability?

I was thinking something like that, but it might not work.

The True Sight ability has four settings for detection: None, Invisible, Burrowed, and Both (I don't know why they put in None :confused:). If set to Burrowed, then it would only detect burrowed units, but not "ghost" invisible units.

However, this applies to all forms of ghost: you can't set it to only detect "ghost" invisibility A and not "ghost" invisibility B, at least in Object Editor.

This could work, if all invisible units that you want True Sight to detect were burrowed.

If that is not what you want, then I guess I could mess around in WE until I find something.

Level 17
I doubt there is an easy way to do this.
You could do something like this:

Make both of your units invisible (the spirit and the invisible one).
If a spirit unit comes close to a unit which has the detect spirits dummy ability remove the invisibility from the unit.
If an invisible unit comes close to a unit which has the detect invisibility dummy ability remove the invisibility from the unit.

If the unit/spirit left the detector and there is no unit with the detector ability within radius then give back its invisibility.

Burrow sounds interesting, I wonder if it would work. It would be obviously easier to pull this of than with my idea.

Level 7
Well that's definitely helpful! I didn't know the above. Ideally though I'd want a third classification of Spirit. But I think that won't be possible using WE on it's own.
Orc, if you could find something that works better, that'd be great, hopefully a system that will treat the unit like a proper spirit, excluding it from physical damage, though that possibly could be achieved in other ways. But if that isn't doable in the WE then don't stress about it, I'll do some research to find a way to get around it, or to the source of it. I'm going crazy with program downloads at the mo.

And there is also a good idea in using dummy abilties in lieu of real detectors, and I was in fact thinking of using the same function to give units spirit detection.

Thanks to all you fellas so far!

I'll mess around in the editor and try out all these suggestions and see if I can't get something I like!

Last edited:

Orc

Orc

Level 4
EDIT: Text removed. My suggestion is irrelevant now.

Last edited:
Level 17
To make the spirits invulnerable for physical damage you could just use an armor type.
Have you played the original campaigns? Remember Cenarius? He had divine armor and was only damagable by chaos, but for example: siege damage does increased damage to fortified armor, piercing does more damage to unarmored in default Warcraft, etc. You can modify these values in the Advanced/Gameplay Constants menu. You can change the armor type's icons and description in the Advanced/Game Interface menu.

Level 7
I decided that using burrow for normal invisibility is a great idea, I'm simply going to change its name to Stealth and it will just be run of the mill sneakiness.

Check the top post again though, because I've outlined my current problem with this solution. :(

P.S On second thought emperor_d3st, I think the divine armour is a cool idea, but I'll just reinforce it with the ethereal ability to make them unattackable with physical weapons. Not sure yet if I want them to be destroyable, or easily destroyable with magic so I may or may not make them divine. I think probably not easily destroyable, for reasons that I will cover in my central Myriad thread at a future point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.