• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spellbook with Hero Abilities that require Level upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have been trying to figure out how to setup Spellbooks for Heros to have more than 5 Abilities. I want to set it up with Hero Abilities that can be Upgraded based on the Level of the Hero. So like, say I gave a paladin a Spellbook with brilliance aura and water elementals (along with his normal abilities) I want the new Spellbook Abilities to be Upgradable just like the AM.

I was able to setup a Spellbook with Unit Abilities (not Heros) but Unit Abilities are all unlocked and do not require leveling. So when my paladin clicks the Spellbook, all of the spells I gave him are already available. I am making a game where Heros level up over 20 levels and I want each spell individually unlocked, but I am a bit too newb to understand the guides I have found.

It would be nice if it worked under the Default Active Ability line

Also, does the Spellbook have to require a level upgrade from the heros? Can it be instantly added already when a hero is trained instead, without taking away a hero level?? Or actually, is there a way to just force the player to choose the Spellbook at level 1? Like disable all other spells until level 2?

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:
Level 21
For this you just need to use a trigger, like:

• Sync
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
    • Conditions
      • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to (==) SpellbookSync
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set level of SpellbookSyncA for (Triggering unit) to SpellbookSync for (Triggering unit))
So you have a Spellbook hero ability with normal unit abilities inside, which get levelled up whenever the hero invests points in the spellbook.

If you want to level abilities in the spellbook individually, you would need a dummy activation of some sorts for that (dummy ability, game dialogue etc).

You can add the spellbook instantly of course. You can also add the spellbook with all its abilities you have set up and then remove those individually by triggers and add them later.

Level 6
Thanks for the help, but I'm not sure I know how to do this. I've only dabbled around in the map editor a little bit many years ago as a kid, and never got into it much. The map I'm currently working on is just a standard melee map with a few modifications, its pretty much complete except for some balancing that still needs to be finished with my new heros.

Anyway, its not that big of a deal, I already added one extra spell the "Attribute Bonus" to every hero, I just thought it would be cool to have a couple different types of Bonus spells to choose from. Sucks that blizzard capped abilities to 5, my Attribute Bonus doesnt even require an icon as it is passive

I have read some guides on this, I tried creating a dummy file but the guides are not very clear for a newb like me.

Level 21
Yeah i remember the time when i didn't get triggering at all, only the easiest functions.

The problem you are having atm is really easy to solve, it's just a matter of priorities on your behalf.
If you are happy with your current work that's great, but just a tad more time investment in triggering and you will be able to solve most problems yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.