• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell triggerring help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Ok sorry to ask again for help,it seems inevitable at some time.

I am making an custom frost mage and i want her to use rylays ability from dota.

I made the blizzard into Wisp diyng animation( it looks cooler,is on a period of time and more explasions than the one in dota).

My problem being that i have no parameters for slow option,i want to apply the same slow from frost armor/frost nova/frost breath but i can't manage a trigger that does that.

And another problem,i based a summon units spell off frost Feral spirits(Summon of wolves) and i gaved it a special animation of frost when they are summonsed also they summon water footmans insted of wolves,problem being here that when they die they dont die as water elements they die as spirit wolves and i can't fiind where to modify the death animation.

Level 10
You could make a dummy unit with purpose to attack the target area once with Frost Attack. The most important unit fields for such a dummy would be something like:

Abilities - Normal: Frost Attack (or a custom Frost Attack with no missile art), Locust
Model - Art: .mdl
Combat - Attack 1 - Area of Effect (all fields): The same as the AoE of your original spell
Combat - Attack 1 - Attack Type: Spells
Combat - Attack 1 - Weapon Type: Artillery

So when your ability is cast, create an instance of this dummy unit and make it attack the target area.

If you want your dummy to attack for 0-0 damage, then set Combat - Attack 1 - Damage Base, Combat - Attack 1 - Damage Number of Dice and Combat - Attack 1 - Damage Sides per Die all to -1.

By the way, please do explain in detail how the spell works if it isn't in standard Wc3 melee. People can't be expected to have played DotA or anything other than regular vanilla Wc3.

Level 3
@nichilus

Yup the status buff is the death animation thank you so much.I managed 1 problem.

@pOke there is no aura that slows only the targets that are affected by the spell in use so it's imposible to make 1 disable spell book with an custom aura unless i create one from the ground

@licheus thx for the info i will try to do it altough im not that good with spell triggering and i tried to explain as much as i could in the initial post i know people are not suppose to have been played dota but just the vanilla w3.

Level 10
Oh, sorry, you want her ultimate, right? My advice was for creating her first ability, I interpreted you wrong.

The way her ultimate works is like pOke pointed out; you create a slowing aura in a disabled spellbook and give the spellbook ability to her. Base the aura off of Endurance Aura and set negative movement and attack speed values. The way the DotA ability works is that every unit within a certain range of her gets slowed while she's channeling, it doesn't matter if they're hit by projectiles or not.

Level 3
Nono you got it correctly i want her frost nova that does an aoe slow in my map.

What i did was to modifiy the missles to death wisp animation so insted of 1 instance she makes alot of explosions channeling which is perfect cause it looks awsome.

I just want to slow the respective area like in dota for the ones that now,with the chiling slow effect because its a frost spell.

That's why i can't use the tornado unit but mostly to make a dummy unit that casts frost atack as @licheus suggested.

The problem i am not really good at triggering i manged to create a dummy unit from a model and made it cast a spell in the area where it is summoned my problem being that i can make the unit cast only non targetable spells.I will put the trigger here when i get home.

If you can modify it into being a trigger that makes a dummy to atack with frost atack would be really awsome.

Edit :
  • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of Caster) at Points[2] facing Default building facing degrees
  • Unit - Add a 0.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
  • Unit - Add Dummy Stomp to (Last created unit)
  • Unit - Set level of Dummy Stomp for (Last created unit) to (Level of Heroic Leap for Caster)
  • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - War Stomp
This is used for a stun but the tauren chieftan war stomp is untergetable the ideea is i want to make a really simple trigger to act whenver the spell is casted and i just need help with those last 5 lines how to modify them to slow them.

Last edited:
Level 10
Oh. Okay. ^_^

I've made an example map of how I would've done it with a dummy unit with Frost Attack attacking ground once at the target area. I've commented the code and tried to make everything as clear as possible. Try the map out and see if it lives up to your idea of how it should work. Then please go through the map and especially the triggering. Ask me anything that you do not understand.

Also note that I haven't removed memory leaks in this example implementation; focus is on trying to convey the general idea as clearly as possible.

Attachments

• Crystal Nova Example Map.w3x
    36.2 KB · Views: 68
Level 3
Thank you so much i manage to modfiy the spell being casted and my blizzard does slow now thank you problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.