• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spell shield (item ability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Can someone please explain spell shield to me please. (in detail)

I never really played W3 but Im guessing that it blocked certain targeted spells and goes on cooldown before it can block another spell.

I've heard that it is used in some cooldown systems to display the cooldown of a spell by removing it and adding spellshield and then re-adding the spell when a timer is finished.

Questions:
Why is spell shield active? I can cast it when given to my hero and it goes on cooldown. It is counted as an issued order. It cannot be cast when stunned. Casting it while the projectile is midair does nothing but put it on cooldown.

Does giving spell shield and then triggering it with a dummy have a potential to sneak another spell between the give spell shield and dummy casting?

What spells pare blocked by spell shield?

Please give me any details you may know about the ability.

Level 24
Basically... all spells are blocked, but only one ofcourse :D
Universal cast spells and maybe ultimates are not blocked.

Activating the ability was iIrc, the normal way of activating the shield... however, it also works without activating it.

Level 7
Basically... all spells are blocked, but only one ofcourse :D
Universal cast spells and maybe ultimates are not blocked.

Activating the ability was iIrc, the normal way of activating the shield... however, it also works without activating it.

Could you please explain universal spells?

When it is an item, it cannot be activated manually. Only when I give it to a unit can it be cast. How is it possibe for it to be the normal way of casting it. It does nothing to the missile, does not remove buffs and cannot be cast when stunned. Unless it has to be activated the moment the missile makes contact but thats impossible.

Is it correct that to display a cooldown, you would just give it Spellshield and create a dummy to cast a spell on the unit. There would be some time where the unit has the spell shield but before the dummy has cast meaning another spell could trigger it first before the dummy one.

Level 12
Doesn't it also not work on AOE spells? I thought it only worked on single target spells.

You should be able to add it and trigger it with a dummy spell without anything happening in between. The only case is if spawning a dummy causes a spell to be cast on the unit (which can and should be avoided by reusing the same dummy) or having a dummy cast a spell causes a spell to be cast on the unit (should be a rare problem and would need protection against itself to avoid infinite loops on its own, anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.