• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spell resistance attribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

I'm working on trying to make spell resistance a levelable attribute.

What would be the best way to do this? Ideally I'd like it be an ability but which doesn't take up a command card slot with levels, and that it's only visible as a buff under the player's hero which tells him what level his spell resistance is.

I've tried using Elune's grace and gave it 10 levels, but how do I make it so an ability does not appear in the command card? And I tried giving Elune's grace a buff for each level, but the buff does not appear....

Also, what would be a good name for an attribute that is spell resistance? I don't necessarily want to use spell resistance as its name. I think willpower is a bit boring too. Any ideas ^^?

The hidden spellbook method might be the one you need

Put it inside a spellbook, give the spellbook to a unit, disable the spellbook for the player...

Also, if the ability doesn't have buff by default, chances are you can't make it have a buff using the OE...

btw, another good way is to use the Tornado Slow aura as buff-placer... The spell resistance will now be based on the item spell resistance (which I believe doesn't show on the normal UI too), then once you learn it, you add the buff placer ability to the unit who learned it

Level 15
The hidden spellbook method might be the one you need

Put it inside a spellbook, give the spellbook to a unit, disable the spellbook for the player...

Also, if the ability doesn't have buff by default, chances are you can't make it have a buff using the OE...

btw, another good way is to use the Tornado Slow aura as buff-placer... The spell resistance will now be based on the item spell resistance (which I believe doesn't show on the normal UI too), then once you learn it, you add the buff placer ability to the unit who learned it

Thank you for this write up, but I'm still a bit lost on where to start.

I don't suppose there's a way to create a spell resistance aura that only targets self?

But anyway how do I hide the ability on the command card without this spellbook method? The previous developer hid several abilities on the heroes and there's no use of spellbook method.

Also why can't abilities work with any buff?

Level 15
1) You can set targets of an aura to just self...
2) I'm not sure if disabling passives would work the same as putting them inside spellbooks and then disabling the book... or he simply used abilities that don't show on the first place...
3) Ask Blizzard

So how would I go about creating a spell resistance aura that only targets self? That would solve my problem.

AS I said set the target's allowed for the aura to self... though I believe there isn't an aura for spell resistance which is why I said:

Adiktuz said:

So basically, you will have two abilities... one will be the spell resistance ability that you hero will be able to learn and give the actual spell resistance (based on the item abilities for spell resistance), then you will make another ability based on Tornado's Slow Aura which you will be using as a buff placer... You would set it's targets allowed to self and modify the buff etc...

then once your hero learns the spell resistance, you will add the Buff Placer ability on him and level it accordingly...

Level 15
AS I said set the target's allowed for the aura to self... though I believe there isn't an aura for spell resistance which is why I said:

So basically, you will have two abilities... one will be the spell resistance ability that you hero will be able to learn and give the actual spell resistance (based on the item abilities for spell resistance), then you will make another ability based on Tornado's Slow Aura which you will be using as a buff placer... You would set it's targets allowed to self and modify the buff etc...

then once your hero learns the spell resistance, you will add the Buff Placer ability on him and level it accordingly...

Ah but will I be able to mask both the spell resistance ability and the buff placer ability (i.e. so neither show up on the command card)?

Status
Not open for further replies.