• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell making problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
For some reason it seems that every spell i make is unbalanced. How can i balance these spells? Should i give an incrased casting time, cooldown, or mana cost? I made this one spell that does the folowing:

Reduces attack speed, deals damage on contact, puts a penalty on the targets damage, reduces the targets speed, and deals damage over a small period of time.

Yet this spell (with the numbers kinda small) seems to be able to take out any unit with a couple castings.

Help me!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well you have to ballence it in context to all the units, since it weakons an enemy unit, the damage should be a bonus effect and so small, so you relly on the weakoning effect of it more than the damaging effect.

Initial damage should be very low, if not even 1 % of the targets max HP (current HP if that seems too much). The duration should be atmost 30 seconds for normal units and 5-7 ish for heroes to stop it being too lethal. The damage reduction of the target should be about 60% as that will be its main use (weakoning strong units), The speedreduction however should be about only 10% as when speed is lowered it makes it a lot harder for one to retreate so you take a lot more damage. The damage overtime should be slightly more than the average HP regenration rate, on heroes maybe double that.

Lower / increase them if they seem too weak or effective a bit.

Level 6
or you can make it have less than five negative effects on target unit?

once we get a hang of making spells, we tend to forget what kind of spells blizzard made for their heroes and units - nice and simple, two effects maximum...

Status
Not open for further replies.