• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Ideas for a summoner class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
The Race is Undead. So I gess you can call him a necromancer. But the spells should be useful in PVP aswell so abilities like (if there are corpses near, he gains HP) are a nice idea but not what I am looking for.

It would be cool to have different "pets" he can summon which are good in different situations (they also have abilities). Do you know a nice custom model for a necromancer?

An idea for a passive skill: When the necromancer attacks, there is a X %chance to spawn a skeleton at the target position.

Level 28
Necrosis: Targets a living enemy or an undead ally. Target takes periodic damage/regeneration.

Final Slumber: Targets an area, casting shortened Sleep on all units. If a unit has less than 5% HP, it dies.

Restless Dead (Channeling): While the spell is active, all units within range of the caster that die create a skeleton warrior, including skeletons created by the spell. Summoned and corpseless units create a voidwalker instead.

Graverobbing: Health and mana regeneration increases for every nearby corpse up to a maximum.

Melding: Targets an area. Summoned minions in the area are combined into larger and more powerful minions (ex. 3 skeleton warriors to a giant skeleton, 3 giants to a bone golem, etc.).

Infuse (Channeling): The necromancer transfers his soul into a minion, replacing it with a more powerful version. The minion gains increased stats and can cast some of the necromancer's spells, and any health it recovers while the spell is active is also recovered by the necromancer. If the minion is killed while the spell is active, the necromancer is stunned, if the necromancer is killed the minion becomes neutral hostile but loses the spells. Once the spell ends, the minion is turned back into its previous form.

Level 6
I always find it useful to examine the true nature of magic when figuring out effects. Combine that with a bit of physics, and neat ideas begin to form.

Generally, most magic either entropic, decaying, destroying, or reducing the energy of a system, or extropic, by bolstering, increasing, or enhancing the energy of a system.

At its heart, summoning magic is rooted in neither the entropic nor extropic. It is instead the power of translation and transformation, of taking that which already exists and moving it and giving it a different form, though not necessarily by making it any lesser or greater than it already was.

Applying this reasoning to skill creation and a necrotic theme, some unique ideas suggest themselves.

What you could do is have the Necromancer have 1-3 passive buffs. Good buffs. But he can activate a pet, losing that buff, essentially turning it into a pet of the same theme. For instance a thorns aura-type buff could turn into a tanky minion. When that minion is unsummoned, the Necromancer regains his buff.

You could have a dispel magic that summons minions when it dispels.

Don't forget the spectral aspects of necromancy, either. I always wanted to make an ability that would basically be a Shockwave that teleports you to the target location. Make the projectile/wave a ghostly or spectral form and bam- you have a ghost rush. I always imagined that power for more of a warrior type, but a spectral application is extremely appropriate as well.

For a spectral type summon, if you could find a model that is invisible except for weapons, it would create a unique and powerful visual effect.

I'll have more ideas, but I'm extremely tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.