• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Craziness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have been making loads of custom spells for my map.

1) I created "energy tap":

Costs 50 mana. Target loses 80 mana. Gain lost energy.

I add all sorts of visual and sound enhancements, then test in-game. The first thing I notice is that, while the effects I made work perfectly, I noticed that it costed and extra load of mana, and that it drained extra mana from the foe. This is telling me that it is still using the old effect on top of my new one. I can find no setting to change this.

2) I created "energy burn":

Costs 80 mana. Target loses 50-125 mana. Target takes 2-3 damage x energy lost.

Everything works fine, except, again, the old effect is there- i am absorbing mana (as in mana burn). Also, although i cahnged its name, in-game it uses the name "energy tap" instead of "energy burn" and i cannot find a way to fix this. (i copied the last spell as i use triggers for effect)

What I really need to know:

1) How do I remove the effects of the 'base' spell? OR how can I simply make a useless spell button, so that i can use a trigger to do an effect?

2) How do I change the name in-game?

I really, really hope someone can help.
Thanks

Level 7
humm maybe use the mana siphon ability that lasts 1 second? which costs 50 mana and drains 80 of it

energy burn use mana burn but make it drain only 1 mana and make a trigger that uses mathematics for a random drainage number between mana/hp

oh and if you were using same spell for those 2 spells. (ex mana burn for both) it uses the same activation code which lets only one be casted.

Level 4
I'm no expert, but if one unit has both I think it will cast both spells because they have the same order ID. Going more in depth, the game uses mini triggers to get a unit to cast spells, so when they have the same order ID, it casts both. (All in theory)

Level 2
OK- this has narrowed everything down.

@Xander (or anyone)

1) Can you modify the Blizzard triggers in any way? Or can you modify the code? If not, does that mean I have to use a different base spell each time, or just not copy and paste from my other created spells?

@ anyone

2) If possible, I would like to create the ability as 99% trigger. Is there a way to simply make a useless spell button to use in a "unit casts spell" trigger? Cuz my spells are often very different, which leads me to the other remaining problem- the new spell still uses the actual effect (ie damage or mana burn, etc)if the base spell :S. I need spells with my own effects, and I have been thinking that spell makers are getting around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.