• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mana Burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I really need a spell that burns a percentage of the target's mana like 25% mana shall be burned the problem is how can I create this in GUI

Level 9
  • Mana Burn
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Your_Ability
    • Actions
      • Set Target = Target unit of ability being cast
      • Unit - Set mana of Target to (Mana of Target) x 0.75)
      • Custom script: set udg_Target = null
This is a bare minimum trigger, should work, didn't test, GUI isn't really what I do xD

Level 33
khamar, if you are using global variable function, there's really no need to null the variable unless it is you're making it local

• Custom script: local unit udg_Target = GetSpellTargetUnit()

Level 9
For the sake of GUI functioning, so that the entire script wasn't in Custom script, using a global variable that will act like a local in this case is also possible. Otherwise it might as well have been in Jass or vJass. But then again, I don't do GUI so I wouldn't know the proper method.
Edit: And it's just good practice to null a variable like this in this situation, had a local been used and that wasn't implicated, then it would have leaked. But all is well. I see your point ; )

Level 4
  • Mana Burn
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Your_Ability
    • Actions
      • Set Target = Target unit of ability being cast
      • Unit - Set mana of Target to (Mana of Target) x 0.75)
This is a bare minimum trigger, should work, didn't test, GUI isn't really what I do xD

I think you don't need to set a variable for this, unless you want more effect.
  • Unit - Set mana of (Target unit of ability being cast) to (Mana of (Target unit of ability being cast)) x 0.75)
This isn't leak in GUI, or you want to waste one variable slot? :)

Level 20
Because you can use a Temporal Unit Variable to prevent calling over and over the same unit. In this trigger is just one aditional action... but still, if it can be improved, why not?

a temp variable slot isn't wasted, since you use it over and over and over to make all the triggers more effective.

Level 20
JASS:
// 2 Lines // 1 GetUnit()
Set Target = Target unit of ability being cast
Unit - Set mana of Target to (Mana of Target) x 0.75)

JASS:
// 1 Line // 2 GetUnit()
Unit - Set mana of (Target unit of ability being cast) to (Mana of (Target unit of ability being cast)) x 0.75)

In this case where the (Target Unit of Ability Being Cast) is just being used twice, it doesn't matter. But if you have more functions involving the same unit, using the variable is waaaaaayyy better.

Level 9
JASS:
// 2 Lines // 1 GetUnit()
Set Target = Target unit of ability being cast
Unit - Set mana of Target to (Mana of Target) x 0.75)

JASS:
// 1 Line // 2 GetUnit()
Unit - Set mana of (Target unit of ability being cast) to (Mana of (Target unit of ability being cast)) x 0.75)

In this case where the (Target Unit of Ability Being Cast) is just being used twice, it doesn't matter. But if you have more functions involving the same unit, using the variable is waaaaaayyy better.

Let me again clarify, the storage of the unit into a variable will cause only 1 GetUnit call. It's not only more efficient its a good coding practice. Since the global variable "udg_Target" is a temporal variable, you actually don't even need to null it, it will be recycling in the end after all.

Level 9
I was kinda referring to everyone xD. There's a method to my madness. Most of it is proper coding practice but W/E. GUI has its own little qwerks, but the concept is the same. I hope it helps some people understand more optimum coding, I myself am personally always learning better and more efficient ways to code things. We are always learning as coders!

Status
Not open for further replies.