1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Spell/Ability Requests

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by Berb, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I have very little on my agenda at the moment so if anybody has any spells/abilities that they want well-made I am volunteering my services. There are a few things to take note of, and a few rules as well. I code in vJass which means you'll probably have to (if you don't already have it) download the latest version of JassNewGen pack from wc3c.net/resources.php. In addition to downloading this, you'll have to be sure your version of JassHelper is the most recent one (because of syntax changes that I will be up-to-date with).

Requirements
    • JassHelper (most recent version)

Rules
    • Please be descriptive when you're explaining what you want, I will probably skip the ones I don't understand at first.
    • I will typically complete the easier ones first, so if you have a very complex spell request then it will probably take longer for me to complete and upload it.
    • Please try to request useful spells that can be re-used by others if necessary. Certain abilities are just lame and if I happen to think your request is lame, I will probably skip it but I'll say its lame so you know I am skipping it.
    • If your spell/ability requires a special library (more complex spells) that I need to download to simplify things then it will be downloaded from here or wc3c.net.

Rules can be added/removed as I see fit, in case there are issues that arise with the current list.

Major Updates

• Completed terrain for the request test-map file.
    • Implemented my Custom Projectiles system into the test-map, however it is not to be used (in time).

Spells/Abilities:
    Armageddon Requested by Japut3h @ Thread Post Completed
    Quick Attack Requested by Undead_ted @ Thread Post Completed
    Rabies Requested by Darkness-4ever @ Thread Post Completed
    Wavy Trigonometric Fireball Requested by overload119 @ Thread Post Pending

I will try to keep the most recent version of the map file attached to the title-post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. T4COBELL

T4COBELL

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    A 'slam' spell would be nice. A unit casts the ability, slams the ground, and multiple trees are fired out of the ground in a ring with nice dirt effects to become destructibles.

3. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, since I would like to learn vJass, I am going to request a 'simple 'spell (I'm inventing this on the spot, so let's see where I end up xD).
    I like learning things by messing with them, this is probably going to be such a case ^^ (and yes: I have JassCraft and JNGP, for JASS-purposes).

Spell Description
    Name: Anonymous ( o_O )
    Type: Unit Target

When cast, the targetted unit will be surrounded by... creatures (let's say flames), the flames will send firey waves towards the target, which will spin around the unit at a high velocity, sending firey waves to him (or her, you never know).
    After a certain amount of time, the flames extenguish (or explode) and their remains will trigger a small burst of flames (uhm... so when they die, a few smaller missiles appear, moving outwards of the explosion).

If possible: I'd like to have as much flexibility as possible (so I can easily change the spell's effects and don't need to know vJass to a certain extent).

Thanks in advance ^^

4. Undead_ted

Undead_ted

Resources:
    Resources:
    Spell Description
    Name: Quick Attack
    Type: Point Target

Miska runs quickly to a point, if he runs past any Heroes he will slice them dealing damage, making them take 20 damage per second. Last 6 seconds.

Level 1 - Deals 100 damage.
    Level 2 - Deals 130 damage.
    Level 3 - Deals 160 damage.
    Level 4 - Deals 190 damage.
    Level 5 - Deals 320 damage.
    Level 6 - Deals 350 damage.
    Level 7 - Deals 380 damage.
    Level 8 - Deals 410 damage.

Note: Only targets heroes
    Note: the range of how close heroes are to be sliced are 250.

5. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This sounds utterly ridiculous.

Any model you had in mind so I can specify the animations?

Well unfortunately Warcraft III doesn't have much for dust effects other than the Impale dust effect. Do you want the trees to circle the caster or just kind of like a "bent line"?

6. Undead_ted

Undead_ted

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have a model based from the Beastmaster model, so use the run animation i guess XD

(They have all the same animation)

7. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yea if you're using an animation string, which I'm not. Instead I like to use the
    SetUnitAnimationByIndex
    native, it functions how I typically like to setup my animations. Different units may have the same animation ("Run", "Walk", etc..) but they won't necessarily have the same animation index.

I am almost done with your ability too, by the way. I based it off of Blink so that when you're casting it, it will inherit some of the unique properties of the Blink ability mechanics.

8. Undead_ted

Undead_ted

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess it would be like blink, but he runs to the point ><

9. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yea I know, I move the unit back to the casted point after a 0-second expiration timer (as if he didn't even blink). There is something else I wanted to ask you though. How do you want the casting unit to handle blips in pathing/terrain while he is "running"? At the moment I have it set to just ignore everything and move in a straight line (ignoring all pathing) and damaging heroes.

As for your obvious terror that this ability is going to suck or something. The ability will function a lot like the "Leap" spell from DotA. I believe the hero that has it is "Mirana" the Priestess of the Moon. The only exception is that it won't be able to get you stuck inside a tree or some shit. To fix a little bit of a glitch (when normal units try to walk over you) I add the ability "Ghost (Visible)" to the casting unit so that other units can walk through him as he walks through them.

10. Undead_ted

Undead_ted

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thats fine :)

11. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Okay, here is a test-map with all of the code/objects included. The terrain is a work-in-progress, I honestly didn't think I would be getting requests this suddenly so I thought I would have some time to finish it up, but apparently it will have to be put on low priority.

I am still going to fine-tune the code to your specific preference, but I wanted feedback on how you think the ability operates (in terms of smoothness, functionality, etc...). Anyways, the test-map is attached to this post.

"I will try to distribute ability requests in maps of their own for the users who request them, but I am pretty lazy and I may not always get around to taking them out of the "parent" map which is titled "ability_request_dev.w3x" and will contain the work I've done up to the most recent spell request I've worked on."

Attached Files:

12. Undead_ted

Undead_ted

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I kinda have an idea, since I'm making a hero arena I don't want heroes flying off and running around the map, so maybe after a random 2-4 seconds he will move back to the original spot maybe dealing 150 dmg and stunning all nearby units within 350 range for 3 seconds? :D

offtopic: Also add a command on your testmap too create test heroes.

13. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    What your suggesting seems worse than the original idea to be honest. Here is the new test-map with a "!more" command in-game to create a unit of a default type. The test-map itself is in very early construction I haven't even added commands to it as you can see.

Updated the test-map once again with a few upgrades to the spell code. Now if the caster dies while running he will be stopped immediately (or if he's stunned). There were some appearance glitches in the older code that occurred when the casting unit died after casting the spell.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  14. Japut3h

Japut3h

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi, I'd like a spell done, if it's not too much trouble.

Every second, 3/4/5 flaming boulders will fall from the sky at random locations in a 700 area around the caster for 10 seconds. Each boulder deals 75/125/175 damage.
    The damage area of each meteor should be small, around 175.

The spell is basically like a starfall, only it's not channeled and follows the caster around for as long as it lasts. When a meteor hits the ground, the stuck area should burn for a bit, maybe like liquid fire, but not deal any damage.

It would also be very nice if you could make the meteors in a single wave never strike at a same point, because the strike locations being random could cause this problem.

Thanks.

15. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'll get on it right away. I'm trying to think of a really good way of making sure the meteor-strike locations are spaced apart appropriately.

Well after a lot of debugging it seems that triggering the whole spell is going to end up better than using Burning Oil and unit attacks. This is a minor set-back but it may take a little longer.

Okay, here is a preliminary version of the spell, Armageddon. At the moment it spawns 3 meteors every second. The code contains some configuration constants that will allow you to further customize it if you want, but there are still a few things I need to complete in the spell before it is done. I just want you to see the progress so far.

By the way, I modified the DemonHunterMissile.mdx file into a model called "mini-meteor.mdx", which you can see in the Imports. You can take this model if you want, and use it as your own. The attachment map contains both spells that I have done for this thread so far, as well as some updates for the terrain.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  16. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the 'adequate' response...
    Any reason why it sounds ridiculous? I don't see anything wrong with it.

17. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well you're description is jumbled and unorganized.

Just so that we don't have to keep flipping pages.

Okay so you target a unit, he's surrounded by flames that shoot fire at the target and the flames that are surrounding him will spin violently, sending more fiery waves (I don't really get this part at all). Now, after all of these fiery waves have come to an expiration, they explode, creating more smaller flames that explode outwards.

Do you repeat yourself or are there really a complete abundance of "fiery waves"? Just one instance of this spell would (by the sounds of your description) require like 30-some units, at best being updated by a single timer. Not to mention, if you don't have a 256mb video card your computer is going to lag beyond belief. This spell is just poorly designed. I told you I would say when an ability idea is lame and I think this one is just too "all over the place". There is no focus. You have fire coming out of fire coming out of fire as it spins around and then the fire blows up into more fire. The spell tooltip wouldn't even be able to handle the essay of a description this would need.

18. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unorganized?
    I have made a table for it, I said it was a unit target spell and the actual spell description is pretty clear, unless you've got some problems with reading.

1. You cast the spell on a unit.
    2. A few dummies will spawn and circle around the targetted unit
    3. Those dummies will shoot waves at the enemy (while still circling around the target).
    4. After X amount of seconds, the dummies that were circling the caster will explode, creating a few smaller missiles.

When I said "the targetted unit will be surrounded by... creatures", I was talking about approx. 4-6 dummies circling around the target.
    Let's say they create 5 dummies when exploding, that gives us a max of 30 dummies indeed.

My video card is good enough and I have created a GUI spell where 72 dummies spawn and move, I sent it to someone with a relatively bad video card and he didn't lag.
    vJass is supposed to be the most efficient triggering method there is, if 30-some units are going to "lag beyond belief", you are doing something seriously wrong!
    I can't believe you even mention lag in a spell with 30 effects...

And I've got fire coming out of fire (ever seen a fire? It can jump over to other things, you know...).
    Or should I suddenly get electricity coming out of it? Or water? OF COURSE I pick fire!

I don't even need the spell anymore... just go do some other spell, this was a waste of time.
    Thanks for nothing.

19. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Your exact words suggest different. "flames will send fiery waves towards the target, which will spin around the unit". From this one would say that you want the fiery waves to spin around the target unit rather than the flames that emitted the fiery waves.

That's awesome, for you, but I'm not making a spell request that spawns 72 units. Say you have two units with this "72-unit spawning" ability, that quickly becomes 144 units. Add two more units with a different ability that "only spawns 30". That's 144 + 30 + 30, which is 204 units. Even if it were four different abilities that spawned an average of 40 units that is still 160 units for a mere 4 spells. The reason I am not going to create it is because its like creating a really really high resolution model for someone as a request. Nobody is going to be able to use it themselves. Look over the abilities I have created so far, they are usable in plenty of situations. Yours requires too much.

20. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That "which" should've been an "and".
    But the fact that you mention lag in a spell with 30 dummies, written in vJass says enough for me, so forget it.