• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sorcery Defense (Vampire Survivors Inspired)

Level 5
Sorcery Defense

Hey y'all. Check out this map I'm working on!
It is essentially Vampire Survivors - Roguelite with random elements.

Join the discord!

Attachments

• sorcerydefensev.90.w3x
    67.1 MB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Level 14
It's a nice start. My suggestion would be to try as much as possible to have items, abilities and enemies that alter the base gameplay because right now running in circles is the optimal strategy and it's not that entertaining (even against the boss!). I guess it's on par with vampire survivors from what I know of that game.

Some notes I took while playing:
  • There is a typo right away: "These are the itemsy ou [...]" and "These are the abilitiesy ou [...]".
  • Can get fireball level 9 as a reward but it does nothing.
  • All the creeps are bound to "Player 12" - giving it a name should look better.
  • 25 being the max level seems too low.

Last edited:
Level 5
It's a nice start. My suggestion would be to try as much as possible to have items, abilities and enemies that alter the base gameplay because right now running in circles is the optimal strategy and it's not that entertaining (even against the boss!). I guess it's on par with vampire survivors from what I know of that game.

Some notes I took while playing:
  • There is a typo right away: "These are the itemsy ou [...]" and "These are the abilitiesy ou [...]".
  • Can get fireball level 9 as a reward but it does nothing.
  • All the creeps are bound to "Player 12" - giving it a name should look better.
  • 25 being the max level seems too low.
Thanks for trying it. Yeah, I'll be getting more content as I can. (Updated attachment with newer version)
The floating text often looks distorted based on your dimensions, so sadly those aren't typos just oddly spaced.
I fixed the bug with getting spells already maxed,
I added a second boss, so theres content up to like, level 13, so I'll keep adding progressive content till its not just a endless fight (the pudges at the end are meant to eventually kill the players since they're the last thing so far)

Level 13
Played this by accident earlier, and also stumbled across this thread by accident, hehe.

Definitely an interesting project - it is simultaneously polished and rough, and it is easy to tell it is inspired by Vampire Survivors. I can tell you put a lot of effort into the abilities and the UI. The hitbox for some spells seems to be quite small (as in you have to try really hard to make sure you hit enemies otherwise they just pass through them).

The gameplay does err on the side of boring though, you are walking around most of the time just dodging enemies and waiting for things to happen. You are in a difficult design situation because you cannot quicken the pace of the map (the rate at which enemies spawn and the rate at which the players level up) because you have to choose your abilities in real-time (and thus have to think about what you are picking). In VS you obviously get to take the time to pick what you want without the threat of being chased down by enemies. Just something to think about.

The revive mechanic is weird, why not just have the timers countdown when a player is near your grave instead of having to click buttons?

This is just general feedback based on 2 play sessions though and will let you know if I play more and have better feedback.

Level 5
Played this by accident earlier, and also stumbled across this thread by accident, hehe.

Definitely an interesting project - it is simultaneously polished and rough, and it is easy to tell it is inspired by Vampire Survivors. I can tell you put a lot of effort into the abilities and the UI. The hitbox for some spells seems to be quite small (as in you have to try really hard to make sure you hit enemies otherwise they just pass through them).

The gameplay does err on the side of boring though, you are walking around most of the time just dodging enemies and waiting for things to happen. You are in a difficult design situation because you cannot quicken the pace of the map (the rate at which enemies spawn and the rate at which the players level up) because you have to choose your abilities in real-time (and thus have to think about what you are picking). In VS you obviously get to take the time to pick what you want without the threat of being chased down by enemies. Just something to think about.

The revive mechanic is weird, why not just have the timers countdown when a player is near your grave instead of having to click buttons?

This is just general feedback based on 2 play sessions though and will let you know if I play more and have better feedback.
Thanks for the feedback. Some thoughts:

Hitboxes I can keep tweaking per spell to adjust, just takes more playtesting and feedback.

"Fun" Gameplay is definitely a challenge I think a lot of mapmakers face. Hopefully finding a balance between active movement and planning spell.
combinations can be fun. For example, TDs are basically static units you aren't even moving.. so there should be a way to strike that elusive fun.

Revive mechanic is just a risk/sacrifice a player has to take to revive, I think standing nearby is too passive.

Level 1
Hey btw, the discord link on this post is expired, and the one in the lobby team name is hard to read (the WC3 font shows as all caps but I think some are lowercase and it's case sensitive). I think there's a way to generate permanent discord links but i dunno