• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

some simple questions (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I have a few things I need to find out...
1. how to you add recoil to my third person shooter system; I need to the recoil to force the camera to shake upwards and back to its original place. (like a sniper's scope in MW2, If you have played it.)
2. How create dialog effects(Fallout style or Mass Effect style perhaps...)
3. how to add a custom HUD(heads up display) but more detailed(something other than bossbars...
4. how to change the gun on a character(animation wise) (im trying to add the ghost's model sniper to a marine(is it possible?)
5. how to create a bullet system; using projectiles.

I have 2 questions; is it possible to add custom music or dialog to a game
second question; when is Blizzard going to release the model and animation editor or have they already released it?

thanks for answering my questions!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. With camera shake? Never played MW2.
2. Never played those games.
3. Using dialogs.
4. Custom models
5. Not really possible unless its 2D. You can use triggers to do some physics for 3D (how most maps do it).

Yes, as chrono breakers or whatever the map was called showed us. Custom dialog with voice acting is possible. Custom music is also possible as battle suits has shown.
Blizzard will never release the animation and model editor as they do not own it. You can however buy it for 300$ a copy odd. Blizzard however has yet to release the plugins, but custom ones have been made.

Level 27
Yes, just like with Warcraft 3, there are no modeling or whatever tools, you just have to use some other modeling and whatever programms for that, just like veryone else does. Like Milkshape 3D.

Dr Super Good, I guess you mean Chrono agents.
Well, you can create custom interfaces and stuff like that with dialogs, those can be done with trrigers.

1. how to you add recoil to my third person shooter system; I need to the recoil to force the camera to shake upwards and back to its original place. (like a sniper's scope in MW2, If you have played it.)
2. How create dialog effects(Fallout style or Mass Effect style perhaps...)
3. how to add a custom HUD(heads up display) but more detailed(something other than bossbars...
4. how to change the gun on a character(animation wise) (im trying to add the ghost's model sniper to a marine(is it possible?)
5. how to create a bullet system; using projectiles.

1. Using triggers to Shake the view of the player owning the triggering unit.
2. Dialogues are easily made with triggers. Just google or search here in THW.
3. Again done with dialogues, very easy once you know how to use them.
4. Models.
5. Requires a complex physics engine.

A physic engine basically works like this;

There is a dummy unit, a bullet, with the model of a small projectile.
The engine reads where the projectile was 'fired' from, then reads what direction it is headed in.
It creates an imaginary line between the two points, creates the dummy projectile at the 'fired' location, then moves the projectile along that imaginary line.
If an object is encountered along the way, it does one of many things you can choose from;

- Rebounds, sending in another direction
- Damages object then removes projectile

If you want the jist of how it works, look at MageCraft or Starcruisers.

Anyone have a projectile system like in Elimination Tournament II I can use in my map?

My various projectile systems I have created have all had massive problems and ended up failing in a pile of herpaderp. The latest one is screwy because the baneling I'm using as a projectile isn't going fast enough... there's like a maximum speed he can go, so even though I set it to 160.0, he doesn't move any faster than if he was like 5.0 movement speed.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Depends...

Real physics ones need triggers. As far as I know, the data editor does not offer the mathematics needed for real phsycis. With triggers you can just smooth move instantly every game frame to get a nice projectile movement at any speed.

With data editor ones you need to use movers like missless. But it is well possible that things like pathing might limit movement speed.

Depends...

Real physics ones need triggers. As far as I know, the data editor does not offer the mathematics needed for real phsycis. With triggers you can just smooth move instantly every game frame to get a nice projectile movement at any speed.

With data editor ones you need to use movers like missless. But it is well possible that things like pathing might limit movement speed.

I don't use the data editor, I use triggers, but when I use triggers, everything is extremely choppy because the timer even at like 0.01 doesn't update fast enough. I'm not sure if using waits & just calling the same trigger after each wait would be any faster... I haven't found a way around this at all. How do you "smooth move"?

Edit:
JASS:
UnitGroupLoopBegin(gv_projectileGroup);
while (!UnitGroupLoopDone()) {
    lv_u  = UnitGroupLoopCurrent();
    lv_cv = FixedToInt(UnitGetCustomValue(lv_u, gv_CVS));
    lv_pt = PointWithOffsetPolar(UnitGetPosition(lv_u), lv_speed, UnitGetFacing(lv_u));

UnitIssueOrder(lv_u, OrderTargetingPoint(AbilityCommand("move", 0), lv_pt), c_orderQueueReplace);
    //UnitSetPosition(lv_u, lv_pt, false);

UnitGroupLoopStep();
}
UnitGroupLoopEnd();
is something I have going right now to make specially customized banelings move straightforward which die once they collide with something. I had a bunch of other scripts which all didn't work which I have thrown out.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you bothered to read the GUI timer description you will find triggers fire every game frame which is like 15 times a second odd.

Issuing units to move is restricted to the movement speed. As I said you are after physically moving them smoothly to remove the choppyness.

native void UnitSetPosition (unit inUnit, point inPos, bool blend);
Notice the blend field. This means that it will smoothly move to the position every rendered frame and thus not look choppy despite getting moced only every 4 frames or worse.

I am aware you need to make a point object for it, but hopefully the number could be kept low and leaks are not a problem anyway thanks to SC2's nice garbage collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.