• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some Questions about Warcraft 3 History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey people,

i'm a long-time Warcraft Player and was very young when i played it for the first time and over the years there are some questions i came up with to some memories i have of those earlie days.

First question is relating on the cannontower. i'm pretty sure there was once a cannontower with 4 pipes, which didn't move, but i had no luck of finding a picture of it in the web. can anyone confirm this and probably has a picture?

Second question is relating on the reign of chaos after frozen throne came out and i actually debatted it with a friend. I'm actually pretty sure that the quilboar did came out with frozen thrones or that at least they were not in reign of chaos from the beginning. but playing the reign of chaos campaigns today, there are things of frozen throne included, so there must have been some kind of major rework at some point, can anyone confirm this and has any more information about it? i tried searching for patch and version historys, but was not lucky at all.

Third question is relating on tomes and runes. I can remember aswell that there weren't always tomes like those flying turning books in reign of chaos, which give +1 Agility or Strength or whatever. but i can't remember what was before that, can anyone confirm this and probably give some more information?

And last, is there any website about warcraft which does give informations like these in detail? Like a warcraft game history. I would for example also be interested in what new things all came with frozen throne.

I hope i can catch some old warcraft veterans which maybe were a little older than me on release.
Greetings, Deadworker.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
First question is relating on the cannontower. i'm pretty sure there was once a cannontower with 4 pipes, which didn't move, but i had no luck of finding a picture of it in the web. can anyone confirm this and probably has a picture?
Seems to be it.
cannon_tower.jpg

Second question is relating on the reign of chaos after frozen throne came out and i actually debatted it with a friend. I'm actually pretty sure that the quilboar did came out with frozen thrones or that at least they were not in reign of chaos from the beginning. but playing the reign of chaos campaigns today, there are things of frozen throne included, so there must have been some kind of major rework at some point, can anyone confirm this and has any more information about it? i tried searching for patch and version historys, but was not lucky at all.
Reign of chaos always had quillboars. Remember Thrall saying "those pig-men are unlike anything I've ever seen before" ("at least they're prettier than the Humans...", the Grunt replies :p) right during the first mission of the orc campaign? Some things like the tomes did get changed retro-actively, but pretty much everything remains the same. Even damage and armor types (e.g. heavy melee with Large armor that takes extra damage from Piercing, nonexistant Magic damage type, etc).

Third question is relating on tomes and runes. I can remember aswell that there weren't always tomes like those flying turning books in reign of chaos, which give +1 Agility or Strength or whatever. but i can't remember what was before that, can anyone confirm this and probably give some more information?
Tomes used to look like any other item when on the floor (chest with gold in it). You could pick it up and it'd show up in your inventory with 1 charge to use. Once you used it, it'd disappear, similar to how scrolls and other consumables work.

Early cannon tower had four cannons on each side. I uploaded the model below.

Just as Rui mentioned, Quillboars were from Reign of Chaos.

Tomes acted like normal items that you had to use from your inventory. It was later changed for convenience to save inventory space.

About your last question, I particularly have a lot of knowledge about Warcraft 3 Evolution. You can also contact Hallfiry, he is the best historian of Warcraft 3 ever. He collected thousands of images, manuals, papers, disks and other collectible goodies. He also support Unofficial Blizzard Archive up to this day. :)

Attachments

• 4Sided Cannon Tower.png
    4Sided Cannon Tower.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 686
  • HumanTower.mdx
    192.9 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: Rui
Level 2
Hey Guys,
thanks for the feedback, was very curious about those things. I'm definitly going to read the interview and already watched the easter-eggs.

Damn, i was so sure about those quilboar, on the other hand, your obviously totaly right, having that comment on the pigmen by thrall and the grunt.

I got some more questions i was very interested in, but i cant remeber them right now. i will post them here once i recall them.

Greetings, Deadworker.

Status
Not open for further replies.