• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some question to mod WC3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
1. Can we create action bar like WoW (don't use hot key) ? My idea is to precreate 7 hero (+ 1 peasant), then capture hero selection event when mouse click on hero on screen interface then cast spell. Or capture event mouse click when select unit in group ?
2. Can we change terrain height at runtime ?
3. I see some progess bar use text, can we make graphic progess bar or make space between characters to 0?
4. How much is Max buff perunit ( include aura and all other type of buff )?
5. Can we create graphic option UI for custom map use multiboard ?
6. How to get current mouse position relative compare with desktop screen width, height ?
7. How to create comlete new custom spell that don't base on any spell ?
8. How to remove standard command ( move, stop ...) on unit ?
9. How to capture event unit is focust when in group ( then we can see it's special ability ) ?
10. How to order hero direct use an custom ability ?
11. How to make pre create group is select when press 1 at map init and player do not have to assign hot key 1 to that group (Ctrl 1)?
12. Can we make purge remove only 2 removeable buff ?
13. I saw this file http://jass.sourceforge.net/doc/api/...ource.shtml#27 contain all type defined. Can we define new trigger event, trigger action , or edit file mpq (etc : make event keyboard_A_hold ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Do not understand what you are asking.
2. Yes but not cliff height.
3. Do not understand what you are asking.
4. I do not think there is a cap to the number of different buffs however some buffs do not stack with buffs of the same kind.
5. The closest you can do is like Genesis of Empires 2 did with full screen multiboard display system.
6. Warcraft 3 does not nativly support this and multiplayer support for this is lacking.
7. Impossiable, you need atleast a base spell for triggers to run on which makes a new spell.
8. By meating various condition. Like units of type ward do not have any such actions and buildings can not move by default.
9. Do not understand what you are asking.
10. You simply in GUI order it to use the spell it was based on. In JASS you order it to use the OrderID of that spell or the order integer.
11. I do not think you can auto asign groups to hotkeys via triggers.
12. Do not know.
13. No as WC3 has been programed only to respond to certain natives and types and so will ignore any others or suffer fatal errors. Even if this is done via memory injection, it loses all multiplayer support.

Level 11
1) That's possible using multiboard system showed in HeroRPG campaign at Maps section;
2) Yes, use "Environment" actions;
3) Progress bars can be showed at multiboard used colored and uncolored "I"s. Special good-looking progress bars can be made using WEU. Maps saved with WEU may not be opened with average WE (World Editor);
4) It's unlimited. But you may not see all buffs - up to 15 or 20;
5) Quite possible. Everyone uses that;
6) The only triggers working with mouse cursor can be made in WEU. Thus only allow you to do actions when mouse cursor approaches near doodad or some other place. Triggers may not move mouse cursors;
7) How to? Give hero items using triggers and then order hero to use those items after 0.01 seconds. That will allow multiple spell effects to stack;
8) Those commands are removed automatically. If you set unit's speed to 0 (Object Editor), his "Move" command button will disappear. It will also cause the same to "Patrol" command. You may not set unit's speed to 0 using triggers;
9) What the hell does "focust" word mean? And what do you mean saying "special ability"?
10) You may not issue custom abilities, only edited initial abilities. However, you can use items, as said in option 7;
11) I don't use WEU. Try to find something like that in WEU, you won't find that in average WE. And if you mean "unit group" to be a hero, then use F keys to select heroes, and, actually, cycle through the game modes/windows;
12) Purge clears all buffs from a unit. But you can use some other spells, that will be cast by some unit with no model, no shadow, that appears in the game, casts a spell and gets removed (that's called Dummy Caster, plz remember);
13) Link you given leads to nowhere. And you may not edit existing functions used in triggers;

Last edited:
Level 3
Thank you very much for these answers.

I still have more question :
1. What function to get mouse position relative to screen not position on map ? Example : When I move mouse ( position on screen change), camera will turn (like FPS game)
2. what function to change terrain height ? I found GetlocationZ, GetTerrainCliffLevel
3. When select group have 2 unit, then press tab, we will see ability of that unit. Can we capture event player press tab or event unit 2 in group is focus ?

Level 3
imo, I don't think 1. & 3. are possible.
2. can be done by using functions that deform terrains, like "wave", "crater" etc. (e.g. look at functions under "Environment" of the GUI triggers, if I'm not mistaken)

Level 11
Thank you very much for these answers.

I still have more question :
1. What function to get mouse position relative to screen not position on map ? Example : When I move mouse ( position on screen change), camera will turn (like FPS game)
2. what function to change terrain height ? I found GetlocationZ, GetTerrainCliffLevel
3. When select group have 2 unit, then press tab, we will see ability of that unit. Can we capture event player press tab or event unit 2 in group is focus ?

1) That's not possible. Use arrow keys instead;
2) You may not change cliff's height, but you can change terrain height (make small hills) using Environment actions in GUI;
3) The only keys that warcraft3 can recognize are when you press F keys (select heroes to cycle through menus), ESC key (Use Player - A player skips cinematic), arrow keys and + and - keys (available only in single payer) (tutorial for them: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f279/gamespeed-keys-40995/ )

this is DEFINETLY wrong

Oh I meant that you can't use window where you choose your ability you want to issue for a unit, and you may select in that window only those abilities that are edited from core ones.

That is wrong.

Redoing:
1) Average WE doesn't recognize when mouse cursor changes its position. And there's no function in any of WEs to force your mouse to change its position. Try using arrow keys in your triggers instead.

Last edited:
Level 17
1) That's not possible. Use arrow keys instead;
2) You may not change cliff's height, but you can change terrain height (make small hills) using Environment actions in GUI;
3) The only keys that warcraft3 can recognize are when you press F keys (select heroes to cycle through menus), ESC key (Use Player - A player skips cinematic), arrow keys and + and - keys (available only in single payer) (tutorial for them: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f279/gamespeed-keys-40995/ )

Oh I meant that you can't use window where you choose your ability you want to issue for a unit, and you may select in that window only those abilities that are edited from core ones.
That is wrong.

Level 3
3) The only keys that warcraft3 can recognize are when you press F keys (select heroes to cycle through menus),
1.Can you give me example code ?
2. I think we can create custom function that calculte mouse position with screen
3. How to create new custom ability that does not depend on origin ability ?
4. Can we capture event mouse touch left or right of screen ? To move camera view in standard camera in melee

Last edited:
Level 11
1.Can you give me example code ?
2. I think we can create custom function that calculate mouse position with screen
3. How to create new custom ability that does not depend on origin ability ?

1) "Unit - A unit is selected" event. The thing is that you use F keys to select heroes you have.
2) ... fantasy -.-
3) No way, (use "third party mods" or) use items. Example of using items:
  • Events
    • Unit - Footman2948 <gen> begins casting an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Flame Strike
  • Actions
    • Unit - Move Footman2948 <gen> instantly to (position of (Footman2948 <gen>))
    • Item - Create item Shockwave_Caster and give it to Footman2948
    • Hero - Order Footman2948 to use (Item carried by Footman2948 of type Shockwave_Caster) at (position target of ability being cast)
    • Wait 0.01 seconds
    • Item - Create item Explosion_Boomer and give it to Footman2948
    • Hero - Order Footman2948 to use (Item carried by Footman2948 of type Explosion_Boomer)
Or you can fully use triggers. Like creating special effects at position of some dummy spell that is cast. Among with special effects you also issue damage on all units in an area. Don't ask me for code please, you understand everything quite well. I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.