• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some nice Drawings i did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Some Drawings i did, opinions needed!

EDIT: Edited some stuff out.

Hey everyone here are some drawings i did some time ago.
Here are some drawings i did last year:

Hydralisk 1:
DSC00009.jpg

Hydralisk 2:
DSC00010.jpg

Cocktail Dog:
DSC00007.jpg

Some Bugs:
DSC00011.jpg

Giant Spider:
DSC00008.jpg

The cocktail dog strikes me as funny :grin:

Here are some of my recent drawings including a self portrait (it ain't too good my lip is alot thinger, my left eye is kinda lower then my right, and the chin is kinda retarded, it makes me look kinda negro xD (im not being racist here)):

Self Portrait:
Picture023.jpg

Green Man 1:
Picture026.jpg

Green Man 2:
Picture017.jpg

Green Man 3:
Picture015.jpg

I personally don't like green man 3, but it isn't finished and i wanted to do something unique. Anyway please tell me what you think of these, i need improving BADLY, i know i'm not perfect but im still ALRIGHT. My art teacher says im better then nearly all year 11s and some year 12s lol. :grin:

Last edited:

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Judging by how you posted, from the thread title ("nice Drawings") to the fact that you specified your age and you said what your teacher said about you, I think that you have a poorly justified high self esteem and you strongly believe these things you did are very good and you expect people to praise you now. This is what your post tells me and for this I despise you. Learn to be more humble, your drawings are not that good, they're average for your age (and I know what I'm talking about). If you want to see a kid who was trully outstanding for his age, check out LightKirtar (or just light as he calls himself now): I'm a sketchbook - ConceptArt.org Forums . The first pages are with drawings made when he was your age.

So in conclusion, wipe this vanity out of you and then focus on your craft.

Level 8
Ok ok i understand maybe i got a lil excited, i just wanted some opinions. And really i wouldn't know if im talented or not cos in my school im the best drawer in yr 9, and by nice i meant nice, not like "ZOMG THERE AWESOME!". Well whats your opinion? you didn't really give me any advice except "well you kinda suck... stop being an idiot and get over yourself!"

BTW im not sure what you mean but i think these are very good for my age, it's not everyday you get good drawers and just because im not super talented doesn't mean you have to bash me.. =(

EDIT: edited out some stuff TDR mentioned.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I didn't bash you because of your drawings, I did it because of your attitude which pissed me off. And once again, I repeat, even if you think these are good they are not. I've been to art high school and art school and I know what's good and what's not for each age (though it's really silly to think in ages, it's the result that will matter).

Your hatching is very poorly developed, it doesn't aid the drawing at all in fact it makes it uglier because it doesn't define any volumes, everything looks flat. Instead of hatching everything with that monotone grey, leave it white. That overall hatching doesn't do any justice at all. Also stop with those gradients, they are really cheap looking.
Your line work lacks "life", it has the same width and intensity everywhere which makes things even more boring. Lines have to be accentuated in key places and left to fade in others, thus defining the shape even more (for ex. thicker, harder lines close to you and faded away as they go further in depth, helping the perspective).
You lack basic knowledge of human facial anatomy and proportions. You'll have to do a lot of studies (most of which should be life drawings) untill you'll get it right.
And that spider looks like it has tentacles instead of legs.
And again, you lack a sense of proportions just look at that hydralisk...and that dog, lol.

So again, keep your head down and do what you do best. What I said shouldn't turn you down, it should wake you up.

Level 8
Thank you for helping me improve, that is all i asked for in the first place. I guess im not that good, then again i don't go to any special art classes, i go to a public school and i do normal yr 9 art classes. And unfortunately it has put me down, don't mind that though im just being an idiot :grin: i don't actually practice proportions i practice textures, shades and so on, that is what im mostly good at but like you said it make it look cheap, which i agree with. I tend to overdo my pictures with too much detail. Ill update this thread with some other drawings soon.

EDIT: i don't see anything wrong with the proportions on the first hydra, the second is awkward though, the dog looks EXACTLY like how the photo looked like, if you don't believe me i can find it lol. Also getting pissed off at a happy and confident attitude is kinda selfish (no offense) it's as if your saying "who do you think you are? Do you think your better then me? Because your not!". Sorry if im being stupid again this is just my opinion.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
kingbdogz: how the heck is that selfish?!...that's not what selfish means. If at all, it may be either because of frustration, jealousy or what you said with "you think you're better than me" and stuff. I think in my case it's frustration, because when I see how one like you thinks so good of himself when he draws like that and I think about me that I suck when I draw how I draw...I think that's mainly it and why I despise this attitude.

But anyway, I have the utmost respect towards you and you restored my faith in the youth because you reacted to my posts in a pretty calm and mature way. To be honest I was expecting you to go berserk and start swearing and stuff like that, like it usually happened. But you were cool, so kudos for that. Keep on drawing, you don't need art school to get better at this, art teachers suck. The ones at ordinary schools always tell you that you're great to encourage you no matter what you do and the ones at art schools are frustrated bastards that messed up their lives and now they want to mess up yours.
Biggest tip that I or anyone could give you at this moment: draw from life. That's if you really want to improve. Forget imagination for a while (but not at all, it's the best thing you can have) and draw from life as good as you can even if in the end you don't want to have a realistic style. You'll learn a lot from this, trust me. Go to conceptart.org and see what advice people are getting there and apply them to what you do.

Oh and Hatching...come - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...come on man, you don't have to go to art school to know what that is.

Level 24
If you want to see a kid who was trully outstanding for his age, check out LightKirtar (or just light as he calls himself now): I'm a sketchbook - ConceptArt.org Forums . The first pages are with drawings made when he was your age.
Outstanding indeed

they're not great ... but i wont sketch much better :p
@ TDR, comon man, that kid's a genius. Don't compare.
Well that kid might have practised alot too, but ofc some people just got natural talent.

BTW ill prolly sound like a noob but whats hatching? i don't know any art techniques because like i said i do no art classes these are all self tought.
You can always try developing your own technique, but you might wanna look into other artwork to get inspiration.

Biggest tip that I or anyone could give you at this moment: draw from life. That's if you really want to improve. Forget imagination for a while (but not at all, it's the best thing you can have) and draw from life as good as you can even if in the end you don't want to have a realistic style. You'll learn a lot from this, trust me. Go to conceptart.org and see what advice people are getting there and apply them to what you do.
Cool good tip, might gonna try it myself too :p

Keep on drawing, you don't need art school to get better at this, art teachers suck. The ones at ordinary schools always tell you that you're great to encourage you no matter what you do and the ones at art schools are frustrated bastards that messed up their lives
It might be a good idea to not go into art school, but something else your interested in aswell and then study art on yourself in free time.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I wasn't talking about fairies raping rabbits or something, I commented on the situation and gave the fellow some advice.
You just felt the urge to tell someone to go back on topic, admit it. It can be a crushing feeling. :p

Level 8
kingbdogz: how the heck is that selfish?!...that's not what selfish means. If at all, it may be either because of frustration, jealousy or what you said with "you think you're better than me" and stuff. I think in my case it's frustration, because when I see how one like you thinks so good of himself when he draws like that and I think about me that I suck when I draw how I draw...I think that's mainly it and why I despise this attitude.

Ok i understand, ill try not to act it next time :thumbs_up:

But anyway, I have the utmost respect towards you and you restored my faith in the youth because you reacted to my posts in a pretty calm and mature way. To be honest I was expecting you to go berserk and start swearing and stuff like that, like it usually happened. But you were cool, so kudos for that.

Thanks, i do this all the time though.

Keep on drawing, you don't need art school to get better at this, art teachers suck. The ones at ordinary schools always tell you that you're great to encourage you no matter what you do and the ones at art schools are frustrated bastards that messed up their lives and now they want to mess up yours.

Thanks for the advice, i thought art classes would improve you lol and give you more confidence.

Thanks ill look into that.
Oh and Hatching...come - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...come on man, you don't have to go to art school to know what that is.

To tell you the truth ive never even heard of hatching in my life until this thread, so it shows i know no techniques, anyway thanks for the link.
I wasn't talking about fairies raping rabbits or something

I'm sure everyone lol'd at that LOL.:grin:

Well, TDR said all what I could say :) Once again, TDR is right and I experienced it myself. I have read lots of drawing books where I saw exactly same advices. I can even quote from one of my drawing books:

"To become a good artist, you must treat it in the same way as the acquisition of skills in any area-you must practice. It's impossible to express ideas unless you have the necessary technical ability. Develop your rendering of form and structure, light and shade by drawing from observation in your sketchbook"

"Anything you see in the everyday world around you is worth a sketch-street scenes, vehicles, and people on trains or in cafes."

In my opinion your drawings are good for your age but u should demand more from your self. U should not be self-satisfied. If u do so, u will get even better results.

Lol, I almost never drew from life :D

Used references, yeah, but from life? Nah.

It shows, really. Photo refs are teh sux, you can't see the object from every angle, you can't touch it etc. And there's something messed up about photos, I can draw portraits from real life with no problem but from photos I rarely get them right :|

Mmm, I guess I should do it more, but there isn't really much I can find to draw that I'd want to draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.