• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some Dark Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Here are some forms of my art. I've been working on these concepts for about two years now, and I've been planning to write and design a children's book. I love Warcraft and it's history, and I love using it as an influence in my writing.

ENJOY

Hunger.jpg

Guy.jpg

Personality.jpg

Group.jpg

Sin.jpg

Touch.jpg

Attachments

• STITCHED-1.jpg
    STITCHED-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 119
  • FallenAlien.jpg
    FallenAlien.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 106
  • SnideTheButcher.jpg
    SnideTheButcher.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Level 6
Icky drip feeling. I like the way you put that. Yes, I'll make sure to use some watercolors next time, in fact I have a friend who uses the stuff all the time, so getting the supplies will be easy enough.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Level 6
really nice! the thing many artist fail at when creating this kind of "abstract" art is that they put in to much detail, so it gets all messy. you manage to keep it clean but still complex and very fun to look at.

childrens book? well i guess your pictures will be scaring them off :) . nah, just joked. these kind of "monsters" are rly cool when your a child aswell.

keep it up!

Level 6
Tim Burton is a major influence for me. I remember watching Nightmare Before Christmas as a kid, and I became mesmerized with the art. Yes, he's an influence, but I do not directly copy his work. Rest assure, this is all original, and I do not use his work as a reference.

Another major influence for me is Pink Floyd. If anyone has ever seen the movie, The Wall, they'll get the impression that my work is meant to be vague and even "messy" at times. It's purposely drawn like that to catch the eye.

In fact, one of them portrays a friend as he constricts and dominates his girlfriend. If you look closely, (5th picture from the top) he is being constricted himself, by a powerful force (the jacket he is wearing) which takes the form of belts. As the belts tighten... a mass of moral sin empties from his body and swarms up around the young woman in the background. As for the clown makeup and nose, it could very well mean that he's a "funny man" or he thinks himself to be funny.

I'm not asking that people look at my drawings and say exactly what I just said, but I should expect that with all art and all art critics that people look upon my drawings and make conclusions for themselves. If they relate the drawing to their own life, or they take the time to question "why this is what it is" then I have done my job.

I don't want to sound cliché but, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I like that you have a distinct unique style that's all your own. That's what really determines an artist.

Level 6
Haha. Thank you very much for your rather... bleak view about a possible children's book. I'm not there yet, but I assure you I will one day complete a story based primarily on what children see "underneath their beds".

Level 6
Oh, I didn't mean to jump to conclusions if that's what I sounded like. In the past many people have mentioned that it's similar to Tim Burton's, so I'm used to it. :wink:

Level 6
"Dark Arts" comes from a word my "professor" taught me. He said there's a darker side to art these days. Whether it be trying to personify an unhappy feeling, or a happy one. Besides, the word 'dark' and 'art' together is great advertising.

Level 25
Ah, never really looked at it that way before. And yeah, Dark Arts is a very good way to advertise lol

If you really do plan on making a childrens book, good luck! I hear it's harder to sell childrens books rather than adult ones since you can put limited things into the book.
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.