• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

(Solved) Will the new event "Mouse Event Trigger Position" cause desynch for MP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

^Are there unsynchronized variants?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

it would crash if you used it for anything in multiplayer
It doesn't depend on where it's used? Like this desyncs?
JASS:
local string s = ""
if GetMouseXLocal() > 0 then
  set s = "MyEffect.mdl"
endif
call AddSpecialEffect(s, 0, 0)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

That's a shame, I was thinking of a multiplayer rhythm game. I hope it's been proposed. Or maybe Blizzard doesn't want bad rep from desyncing custom games.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

They introduce latency. I feel like you have to do hit test before networking. If a circle appears at T and you get a perfect score when hitting it before T+50ms and your ping is more than 50ms you'll have to preemptively hit it. And at that point it's no longer a rhythm game, because you have to do input 50ms+ before rhythm.

Level 11
Hmmm like a predictive mode? That does sound nice. If they could add a desynch'd version that synchs "when possible".

It would have weird gameplay issues tho (like in PoE) where if the ping is off, you're killing the boss while everyone thinks you're in the room behind ^^.... (Would have to be able to chain orders, which would take a lot of work also)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Maybe I could have a chat command to specify hit-to-mapping offset; '-ping 50' would mean the hit test is done against a map state 50ms in the past.

It would have weird gameplay issues tho (like in PoE) where if the ping is off, you're killing the boss while everyone thinks you're in the room behind
Yes and in WC3 you would've DC'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.