• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SM dominion marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
ok, i've kind of given up on SC2mapster since none of my 3 posts have been answered. Nothing against them, just figured u guys would be more helpful since i have some fond memories of the WC3 custom models galore here and like 99% of u guys are 3d modelers.

Anyways, i have 2 questions, both are mostly related to the same thing. They're just different ways to approach the problem.

1. How do i export and import the bones of a normal marine unit into that of a SM marine? As you might know, they don't come with their own animations. (SM marines are the high poly marine models from the storyline cutscenes.)

2. OR, how do i sort of attach the cutscene animations to the marine model and export both out of the editor and into 3ds max? (their only problem is that the animations move the marine off the center, because they're for cut scenes.)
[[Nvm, apparently not possible yet with the current importer.]]

Btw, i'm using the 3ds max m3 import/export plugins by NiNtoxicated01 and Ladik's MPQ editor. And obviously 3ds max. I don't need help using those though.

Edit: actually, i also had a request thread, so if u one of u happened to have made such a model already, ( one with all the basic animations), i'd really appreciate it if you would share it with me.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Last time I heard there were no exporters for SC2 models yet.

Anyway, try copying the bones only from the normal marine. They should not need to be attached to a mesh all the time. Then import the geometry of the cinimatic marine, and reattach the bones to it 1 by 1 (remember to break up the mesh in a simlar way to the marine. Finally make sure all attachment points etc are ready for export and proceed to if a plugin exists.

I am no modeler but this is what I would imagine you do, however I am moving it to the modeling section where people might be able to help.

Level 2
if u mean exporting models out of 3ds max, there's a maxscript made for it. If you mean exporting models out of SC2, i just either use Ladik's MPQ editor to extract or i can just export models individually using the galaxy editor.

Oh and thx for your help. My first attempt was to just dump the bones into the cinematic model which kinda turned out funky. I'll try what you suggested, though right now i'm more kind of just waiting for the update on the m3 importer so i can just use the cinematic animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.