• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sky (Doodad) Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Ok, so Warcraft doesn't let you see the sky in game just the way you want... (I am referring to using MAT) When in fog, it is black, when you're near it, it's not showing properly (from the normal game view, the sky is only partially visible).

So I am requesting ideas of how to make it work: I need the sky to be fully visible and walkable (I used the MAT fine, but the sky seems to be the problem), maybe using a doodad (like Skyspheres, but they are small and I need the sky only in a small region of the map, not all the map; plus the map is huge, so the sphere will not have a good quality)

Or a doodad (something like a carpet, but bigger), so I can Ctrl+PgDwn under MAT. This is, I guess, harder (or at least more troublesome) since it will need multiple doodads.

Anyway I though of making 2 new tiles, one with clouds and one with the (blue) sky (which is much more troublesome than any of the other methods), but I intend to make some "floating" islands with below-base-level rocks, so it would look more realistic. This way the rocks won't be visible and I don't like it...

Any ideas, methods, resources?

Level 2
Ok, so Warcraft doesn't let you see the sky in game just the way you want... (I am referring to using MAT) When in fog, it is black, when you're near it, it's not showing properly (from the normal game view, the sky is only partially visible).

So I am requesting ideas of how to make it work: I need the sky to be fully visible and walkable (I used the MAT fine, but the sky seems to be the problem), maybe using a doodad (like Skyspheres, but they are small and I need the sky only in a small region of the map, not all the map; plus the map is huge, so the sphere will not have a good quality)

Or a doodad (something like a carpet, but bigger), so I can Ctrl+PgDwn under MAT. This is, I guess, harder (or at least more troublesome) since it will need multiple doodads.

Anyway I though of making 2 new tiles, one with clouds and one with the (blue) sky (which is much more troublesome than any of the other methods), but I intend to make some "floating" islands with below-base-level rocks, so it would look more realistic. This way the rocks won't be visible and I don't like it...

Any ideas, methods, resources?

What i understand from the paragraph is that it is quite impossible for the cloud view. Because the cloud view is a huge perspective that makes not just the players invisible but as well the entire geographical map. In the other hand when you try to focus on the players and map then then the nature of the terrain would be like the player and the terrain are so close to the clouds.

Level 4
Yes, it might be impossible... or not! That's why I asked you guys...

If it is really impossible with the normal sky from Warcraft then what about some doodads that have a sky-looking-image on it and it is flat. Something like a carpet, but bigger. Are there any of Sky doodads or can someone make it? (I think it's not that hard since you need a flat .mdx and sky .blp; I can't do it myself 'cuz my PC sucks real time and I can't use the programs; I mean it: my PC is old enough to be your grandpa xD)

Any other ideas?

Yes, it might be impossible... or not! That's why I asked you guys...

If it is really impossible with the normal sky from Warcraft then what about some doodads that have a sky-looking-image on it and it is flat. Something like a carpet, but bigger. Are there any of Sky doodads or can someone make it? (I think it's not that hard since you need a flat .mdx and sky .blp; I can't do it myself 'cuz my PC sucks real time and I can't use the programs; I mean it: my PC is old enough to be your grandpa xD)

Any other ideas?

UTM has cloudspheres. These models are sphere with a cloud texture. By stacking them multiple times in the same spot, you can easily change the density of the clouds. However, I am not really sure how usable these models are in-game.
You can always try to make a simple model consisting of a plane with sky texture.

Level 4
@MaTiJa97 Were you paying attention?

UTM has cloudspheres. These models are sphere with a cloud texture. By stacking them multiple times in the same spot, you can easily change the density of the clouds. However, I am not really sure how usable these models are in-game.
MaXaRaYkIn said:
maybe using a doodad (like Skyspheres, but they are small and I need the sky only in a small region of the map, not all the map; plus the map is huge, so the sphere will not have a good quality)
Plus that I need that number of doodads. Can't waste the doodads with small parts of sky and they are kind of ugly. And I need to see below ground level and it's bottom is a little bit unclear. OK, I can rotate it so it would be horizontal, instead of vertical, but I still have the problem with the model showing like a "border", but it's not. It would look ugly. (I think I can alpha channel the parts that are unnecessary from the sphere, but it would still be spherical and I'm not really sure how it would look inside the game)

You can always try to make a simple model consisting of a plane with sky texture.
MaXaRaYkIn said:
I can't do it myself 'cuz my PC sucks real time and I can't use the programs; I mean it: my PC is old enough to be your grandpa xD

Status
Not open for further replies.