• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skill Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Should we imcorporate a skill tree? I found this image from the wc3c site.
2wo9152.jpg

Last edited:
Level 2
This will be incredible to have. Is there any way to shrink the map to add this in. This will be one step closer to be like the real D3.

Level 17
I think i can come up with something to prevent the file size.. Im not sure though..
For example, if we could make the inventory screens skin into parts, we could easily use those parts to make a skill tree, but that would make it like a puzzle :p
But that way it would be the same size, but in many small pieces so it can be used for more?

If that doesnt work i will have to find another way.
Like... Dont have an interface for it? Just have the buttons and a little border around it? Containing no background.
A simple border shouldent take too much size? And we could change the F11 menu skin at the same time? :p

Level 19
I think i can come up with something to prevent the file size.. Im not sure though..
For example, if we could make the inventory screens skin into parts, we could easily use those parts to make a skill tree, but that would make it like a puzzle :p
But that way it would be the same size, but in many small pieces so it can be used for more?

If that doesnt work i will have to find another way.
Like... Dont have an interface for it? Just have the buttons and a little border around it? Containing no background.
A simple border shouldent take too much size? And we could change the F11 menu skin at the same time? :p

Or we could just create 7 textures: Verticle, horizontal, edges(4) and the background. This doesn't have to be an big. :p We could build the skill tree.

Level 19
Thats exactly what i mean. But when we make the borders, why cant we use them for the menu too? :p That would be nice. That would make it into an entierly customized interface.

The inventory is custom made for the inventory spesifically. It wouldn't be pretty to strip all the cool texture away.

Just keep the sliced textures for everything else. :p

Level 14
You could try to create a background texture and use it for both the inventory and the Tech tree and then have borders like LTGH suggested

Level 9
Why not just add books like in Diablo 1 x) Just add 10 books/abilities per class and make them drop randomly. And if you get a book you already have found you get the abillity to level 2 and so on.. Just make a book work like a tome.

But since this is Diablo III, and I doubt they will do it this way, maybe it's not that good an idea.

Anywho it would also be awesome with a Tech tree, check out "The Growling Winds" if you wan't to see how a skill tree is done ;) One of my favourite maps btw. :)

If you make a tech tree, please make the skills "repickable" so you can change your either add(+) or remove(-) skill-points from an ability :) I think this is how it is going to work in Diablo III since the old system ****'ed up the game.

Level 17
Why not just add books like in Diablo 1 x) Just add 10 books/abilities per class and make them drop randomly. And if you get a book you already have found you get the abillity to level 2 and so on.. Just make a book work like a tome.

But since this is Diablo III, and I doubt they will do it this way, maybe it's not that good an idea.

Anywho it would also be awesome with a Tech tree, check out "The Growling Winds" if you wan't to see how a skill tree is done ;) One of my favourite maps btw. :)

If you make a tech tree, please make the skills "repickable" so you can change your either add(+) or remove(-) skill-points from an ability :) I think this is how it is going to work in Diablo III since the old system ****'ed up the game.

Uhmm. They are using the same system as in diablo 2 and WoW.
And we know how to do a skill tree, there isnt anything hard, really.
And you should not be able to decrease the skills... Thats what makes your character unique, your specs. Otherwise people can just change when they need a specefic spell and that would destroy the reason of having skill trees.

Level 9
If you select a skill in Diablo II you are NOT able to get your skill point back, even if you do not plan to use that spell ever, so if you make a mistake your character is ruined/(not perfect) and you can't change it back. We all know Diablo III will be a mix of Diablo II and WoW, so I belive that you can for a small fee change your skills like in WoW-talent-tree system :) and of-cause not in-combat!

Even IF you can do a skill-tree yourself, at least take a look at "The Growling Winds", I promish you will get inspired by it ;)

Level 17
Seriusly, whats the big deal.
The point with skill trees is that you only are able to use a choosed amount of spells.
We cant make a system so if you misclick, you can remove it. But you shouldent be able to change it later if you ask me, that would just ruin the point of it.

Level 8
You guys should make the action bar like in diablo 3. Just a idea. Then use floating text for the cooldown.

Level 17
You guys should make the action bar like in diablo 3. Just a idea. Then use floating text for the cooldown.

Yeah right, and we should also change the entire interface into a copy of the one in wow.
Dude, its not possible to do such things. I THINK. There might be a solution but i dont know if that will work. And no one has ever done such things before.

Level 8
Action Bar was already made. It work similar to inventory system. You click on the ability and it goes into the mode were you select the location or target. Its made by the same dude who made does inventory systems before my post.

Level 17
Action Bar was already made. It work similar to inventory system. You click on the ability and it goes into the mode were you select the location or target. Its made by the same dude who made does inventory systems before my post.

That would look horrible. You have a action bar above the interface that floats there and we want to keep it "warcraft", we shoul atleast keep using the button in the bottom corner. :hohum:

And the guy that made that is a russian, and they have a brain like no one else, its nearly impossible for us to figure out how to change the camera angel of the system, it like a math trigger that is about 100 rows long o_O
i get like... wtf?.. you gotta be kidding me?!..

Level 8
Bet you the action bar is like 400 rows of supre complicated math. Then again, so would be your inventory system.

Level 17
Bet you the action bar is like 400 rows of supre complicated math. Then again, so would be your inventory system.

Dude. That system is 1000 times more complicated then my inventory system.
And it is stuck to a specefic spot, its not following the actual camera, its just following an unit that the camera is stuck too. So without that angel and without that unit, you wont be able to see the bar.

And the bar is just disturbing, there is no reason at all to have a action bar there as you use hotkeys and not the buttons if your smart enough to figure that out. It is time consuming, useless and blocks the view.

0zk

0zk

Level 1
aye, while its a really nice idea, if we add that in thats gonna be an extra 500kb right there which we just cant afford to spare :/ Ide rather keep all our diablo-looking models than add this is :p

cool idea though :D Definately something to consider if we ever make a single-player version ;)

you know you said there were be 3 maps.. so maybe the filesize of those maps wil allow you to squese the tech tree i would love to see that :cute:

Level 8
They could add it since the new map size will be 8mb but I doubt they would want to do it since its not in diablo atleast thats what I know.

Level 2
Solution ( I hope will help ) :fp: After the player makes a level you can teleport him instead to a tree ( tech tree :p ) there the player will be able to select one skill after this it will be teleported exactly into the place he\she was with the skill learned. This should not consume so much space .

Hope ill helped. :pal:

( And u have done a great job with the beta I cant wait for the final version :thumbs_up: )

Level 4
HAHA. seriusly, that just made my day. I just cant stop laughing right now.
:grin::xxd::grin:
That is not going to happen w/e you guys say and i dont care about the faqs anymore. Even if i myself would change my mind, that just wont happen. :mwahaha:

Haha, seriously, that just made my day. I can't stop laughing right now.
It'll happen if CW says it's going to happen, I don't care about what you say anymore. Even if I myself would change my mind, that just won't happen.
:mwahaha:

If you couldn't tell, your immaturity and childish acts are beginning to annoy me.

Level 17
Haha, seriously, that just made my day. I can't stop laughing right now.
It'll happen if CW says it's going to happen, I don't care about what you say anymore. Even if I myself would change my mind, that just won't happen.
:mwahaha:

If you couldn't tell, your immaturity and childish acts are beginning to annoy me.

Excuse me.. But i AM a child (kinda xP). Im 14 :eek:
And damn dude... we made our desicion, why cant you just listen to me for once?.. We will not add him, belive me or not, but just stop talking about him becouse it just wont happen.

Level 4
Excuse me.. But i AM a child (kinda xP). Im 14 :eek:
And damn dude... we made our desicion, why cant you just listen to me for once?.. We will not add him, belive me or not, but just stop talking about him becouse it just wont happen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Just up the compression of interface graphics? An extra 2-4% will be near unnoticable and save precious KB. If you really are short for space, you can further compress textures. Remember that a gameplay feature that is present is worth more than it being abscent and another looking a tad better.

Yes, graphics and appearence does matter, but only for the first few plays. Afterthat you begin ignoring the graphics more and more until the only real thing you notice is gameplaying elements. Yes size may force you to hold back on a feature so it does not end up as good looking as it could be, but really as long as it is there, that is all that really maters.

Also there are rhumors of the max map size being increased for the patch, so you may have pots of space to mess around with for such a system as this.

If you plan multiple maps, I advise you make some size quotes on the size each part of the maps can be, EG if they increase the map size to 8 MB you could make it so that 5 MB are dedicated to the D3 engine/core systems while 3 are dedicated to map specific engines/features.

Level 19
Good luck with that. Here's a system that allows you to create buttons, picture and text attached to your screen but its really complicated so it will take you a long time to even know what you are doing and it can't get any simpler that that:http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=102351

And from my understanding of things it is not possible to make it fully MUI. You will see floating stuff for other players flying around if I'm not mistaken.

Level 8
Nope. It checks detects right and left click. Here try something Im testing. Click on the white box.

Attachments

• DGUI_v1.00b.w3x
    89.3 KB · Views: 129
Level 8
You cant implement it on your camera system. You need to adjust his if you want to use the dgui.

Level 8
You can create the camera the same way I did and just add the functions that let you zoom out like you normaly do. It shouldn't change the custom camera variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.