• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Skill ideas? Also what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey guys, I have gone completely blank with ideas for skills for the players hero... I have done a lot of work on the map and I tend to leave the skill making for last. It's my favourite part of map making, so I get all of the frustrating and boring stuff out of the way first.

Anyway the map I am creating is a survival map. It's a post-apocalyptic setting with most humans using guns. The player's hero has a low chance to hit the lower level he is and depending of the gun equipped. There will be mutated creatures and what not but the point of the game is to see how well you can do. The map never really ends because of the constant spawning creatures, events, capture zones, boss spawns and your own piece of land you can customize. Your energy is also your hunger (this will be indicated by the heroes mana) and once that reaches to 0 the hero walks slower and loses health over time.

So instead of making most skills cost mana, I have made some skills cost "Scavenged Materials" that you have to find laying around the map. E.g one of the abilities (create a bandage) will cost 5 scavenged materials, if you don't have any then you wont make anything.

The map is very quick when it comes to combat. Similar to how I think a real life gun fight would go on in a post-apocalyptic world. Your hero is not skilled with guns to start off with and will die in a few shots, most enemies will too. Every player's hero (only 3 players per map and only one hero) has a task spell book with spells like; Run, Defensive position, enable/disable auto attacks, reload, unload clip and place in bag (places a selected item into the heroes backpack located in the top right hand corner. 6 slots wasn't enough for me.)

Sorry for the wall of text people but I wanted to know if anyone had ideas for some skills the heroes can use, they can cost mana but only very little as the heroes mana drains over time. I'd also like to know your thoughts on my map so far.

One more thing, the bullets and ammo are handled with gold and lumber. Each gun remembers how many bullets and cartridges it has with it. If you want to strip the gun clean of ammo and use it for a different gun then you unload the clips into your inventory, pick up the other gun and then use the ammo to assign it to that gun.

Thanks for reading guys! Sorry again about the wall of text :p.

Level 30
Looks cool for an idea. Well, you say that this map of yours is a zombie survival map? Well, you could try giving the hero the basic skills a survivor has. Examples are First Aid (Heals your life by a small amount), Sprint (Increases movespeed for a period of time), and maybe a spellbook-like spell where it lists different traps you can make (if you are planning for the game to have traps).

EDIT: Just realized you have most of my ideas so maybe First Aid, and the spell book spell that contains trap? How about that?

Level 17
A hero that has a survival rate based on RNG is an absolute nonsense, no offense intended.
If you want to a make a game where 3 bullets matter a hero that can miss half of the time outside of the player's control sounds like a disaster.
If you want to deliberately stick to the arbitrary miss ratio (I personally found it to be the worst part of Fallout 3) then also give a way for the player to raise the hit % (most sensibly all the way up to 100%) by doing something.

But apart from that it sounds good !

Level 7
That is exactly what I have done. In fact you level a ability that increases your chance to hit and at max level gives you a 10% chance to critically strike and 100% chance to hit (not including evasion). Every spell cannot miss (a part from spells that buff damage dealt) and enemies can miss too. I have tested it a lot and I have actually had a lot of tense moments. One example; I was cornered by three armed enemies and managed to just kill them because the last guy missed. I was careless with my health before this situation and was ganked by them on about 75% health.

I also added in "Cover". If you stand near/behind broken walls, destroyed buildings or abandoned cars you gain armor that could save you life. Has saved mine many times.

I still don't know how the should revival system work. Maybe on re spawning they loose all their exp in their level as a form of punishment.

You also have a Defensive stance ability that explained before hand. Not to mention the create bandage ability (you can make instant heal bandages).

So as you can probably see there are lots of ways to deal with missing and getting bad RNG. You use a damage spell if you are missing a lot, heal if you are low, go into defensive stance and look for cover.

No offense was taken :).

Ps I totally get what you mean in fallout 3 -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.