• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple Questions About World Editor Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello,im making a real huge map and i need to know few noob things about the editor.

1.Regions.Does it matter how many regions i have ? Can i have like 1000 or more?will having a 1000+ regions cause a lag to my map or something?

2.Variables.Can alot of variables cause lag to my map?

3.Units.If there are 1000 neutral hostile units on the map,will they be able to fight like there are only 20(Without any lag) if all units arent fightning at a time only 1 or two of them at a time?

Level 15
You can have almost everything you want, but you must code it properly: avoid lags and use good systems for all you need.

About the units, having 1000 it's exaggerated IMO. YOu should do instead create / load them the necessary. Keep in mind the engine is not a big monster, be efficient and simplify as much as possible.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
1.Regions.Does it matter how many regions i have ? Can i have like 1000 or more?will having a 1000+ regions cause a lag to my map or something?
Regions do not generate any net traffic so no. You might get performance problems if you have a 1000 regions hooked up to enter and leave events though depending on how they are implemented.

2.Variables.Can alot of variables cause lag to my map?
Variables do not generate any net traffic so no. You will also get no performance problems as they are allocated staticly and memory allocation alone has no time overhead.

3.Units.If there are 1000 neutral hostile units on the map,will they be able to fight like there are only 20(Without any lag) if all units arent fightning at a time only 1 or two of them at a time?
Unless you issue orders to all 1000 at once, the net traffic generation is so low it will not make a noticable difference compared to mormal players. Also you should not get performance problems as long as only 20 are doing something at any given time. You should still reduce the number of units to only as many as nescescary (only make units when they are required) to keep memory usage down and allow some enumerations to execute more efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.