• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Simple question: OE projectile speed and movement speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
In every game the quantity of distance is labelled in units.
Sometimes these units are translated to more regular length quantities like (most used) yards, miles or meters (lightyears tend to be used a lot in space games).

Throughout the entire game, it should be using the same values for the same lengths unless pointed out differently. This to avoid confused (and therefor) fewer users.

In WC3, one unit is about 2 to 3 centimeters (according to basic unit lengths).

In velocities in games, they ussually talk about x units per second.
Whereas a speed of 900 will cause the projectile to move 900 units per second.

Buildings are placed in a grid of 64x64 units.
Pathing maps can be on 32x32 tiles (where 1x1 pixel is 32x32 units, but can be used with a half tile offset if used in an odd number).

Ranges, movement speeds, flying height, etc all follow the same distance formulas.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34
In every game the quantity of distance is labelled in units.
Sometimes these units are translated to more regular length quantities like (most used) yards, miles or meters (lightyears tend to be used a lot in space games).

Throughout the entire game, it should be using the same values for the same lengths unless pointed out differently. This to avoid confused (and therefor) fewer users.

In WC3, one unit is about 2 to 3 centimeters (according to basic unit lengths).

In velocities in games, they ussually talk about x units per second.
Whereas a speed of 900 will cause the projectile to move 900 units per second.

Buildings are placed in a grid of 64x64 units.
Pathing maps can be on 32x32 tiles (where 1x1 pixel is 32x32 units, but can be used with a half tile offset if used in an odd number).

Ranges, movement speeds, flying height, etc all follow the same distance formulas.

Is this post supposed to answer my question? Thanks for the answers tho. I just don't know what's related between tile size and my question?

Level 14
Is this post supposed to answer my question? Thanks for the answers tho. I just don't know what's related between tile size and my question?

Because you asked if it would travel 900 range in one second. Since tile size represents range I would say it answers your question with a yes. It means it will travel 900 range (900 units) (28.125 tiles) away in one second

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Projectile speed for units is in "units per second". Standard speed distance time stuff from physics applies.

With abilities it varies from ability to ability. Mostly it means the standard "units per second". Some abilities like Cluster Rockets seem to have it mean "1000/speed seconds until impact" so the missiles always land a fixed period after launch independent on distance. You will need to test on a case by case basis to find out how it is used with abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.