• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple quest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello!

I've started to messing around with World Editor (again) and need some support in some cases, like this one ;].

The Quest looks like that:

questod1.jpg

To discover quest we need to pick up nearest item. The quest's targets is to pick up other 2 items, which sounds:

- Pick up first item
- Pick up second item

When we pick up first object (when quest is discovered) we get messege:

- Pick up first object (done)
- Pick up second object

etc. And here's the question: is there a simplier way to make this quest by not considering every case in messege when picking up?

I mean you pick up 1 item - you have a messege that one requirement is competed - no problem. You pick up another and you have messege that 2 requirements are completed (but you have to check if any other item was picked up, to show messege correctly). If we would like that, then what if we had 5 items to pick up and quest sounds:

- Pick up 1st item
- Pick up 5th item

Then 5! possibilities to consider?! ;/

Link, shown trigger, screen, or anything would be very helpful ;].

Level 13
just an idea, maybe there is an easier way, you need as much triggers as items
triggers2 - 5 have to be turned off in beginning
trigger1:
event: unit picks up an item
condition: picked item equal to "your item"
action: message quest requirement complete
turn on trigger 2
turn off this trigger

trigger2:
turn on trigger 3
turn off this trigger

trigger3:
turn on trigger 4
turn off this trigger

trigger5:
action: message quest completed
turn off this trigger

hope this is what you wanted :p

Level 2
Hmm, it's always a way, but by "Pick up 1st item" i meant of course smth like "Find a Crystalball of Darkness near Saphire Nest" and 2nd item again different name. :D

For quest requirements like a "Complete pieces of Totem (0/5)" it would certainly work very well ;].

Anyway I checked an official maps from Campaign and yeah - there are tons of if/then/else 's to show correct quest's status...

EDIT:

I'll use this topic for another question.

Is it possible to control AI in reasonable way only with AI Editor and maybe Triggers? I mean to set how many units opponent can build, what types, how strong the attack waves will be, should only rebuild destroyed buildings etc.
Im not into coding AI nor have time for it ;].

Any tutorials how to manage it? All I've found about AI is scripts / JASS (whatever it is :D).

Last edited:
Level 13
you can do most things with triggers, like order unit to train sth, if building dies then order unit to rebuild it, for the waves you can use an integer comparison, like consumed food or number of units in a region and if number is bigger then your number then order all creeps of the player to attack, tell me if you need a more exact description as this might be a little confusing

Level 2
If it's like You say, then it sounds very nice. For now i don't have questions, cause I didn't mess with it too much. But for sure questions will appear in this case.

Actually I only wonder now if AI created by that AI Editor (F8 ;]) can be applied to missions or it's only for Melee...

EDIT:

Are ther any example maps with triggered AI for opponent? I'm looking for basic triggers where computer trains i.e. Footman in any Barrack he has (not fixed..) and sends a wave, when he has got some amount of Footmans already.

I can't see how to (or if it's possible) make a trigger saying to computer: build a unit Footman whereever you have barracks...

Any samples? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.