• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple Model Request!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Level 14
First of all, you need armel's permission to edit the model. If you can somehow get his/her permission, then I could probably do something about the ears and eyebrows, but I can't do anything about the beard though... :pmeh:
Why do I need permission? I'm not going to upload that model on this site I just need it to my map. I've seen other users that uploaded remade skins of his model so I don't think I need permission when I'm not going to upload that model in this site. I know there should be a way to add beard to the Warmage a wc3-friend to me did that to that model some years ago but he is not play wc3 more so I can't ask him and I don't have that model he made.

Level 11
Mulgrim, doing something like that may seem simple to you, but for other people they wouldn't do it for some other reason, what that reason is can only be known if the person asking the question decides to tell you. To be truethful, I would actually take the model edit it in anyway and give credits without his permission, though I can see how some models wouldn't like that, also some wouldn't care at all.

Level 14
Dinodin, you need permission. End of story.

Would you like it if you would make something, then someone would come and change it without asking you first? It's not so nice. Anyhow. Ask him. Get permission. Gl and hf.
No I wouldn't. That's why I protection my maps..I've asked for permission but I don't think he will answer becase he has not been inlogged since March this year -.- Search for WarMage on skins and u will see some users that has edited his models..

Level 3
Perhaps it would be nice if THW added an option for model editors to specify whether or not their models can be used as "stock". IE: A model designed to be redesigned. I've noticed some saying they don't mind it being modified while others have said "DO NOT MODIY/DISTRIBUTE".

The fact is Dinodin, as others have said, this is armel's creative work. And just as with any other artform, if you are going to alter it - you need permission. Now naturally theres not anything to prevent you from doing it. It's just a matter of respect for the person who spent their time developing the piece.
I would try to get into contact with the designer and request permission to alter it, in the event you can't get ahold of the developer then you have 3 options:
1.) Forget the idea
2.) Create your own 'similar' resource from scratch
3.) Make the modifications and be sure to credit the original developer

Naturally I don't recommend the third one except as a LAST resort (such as the individual doesn't get on anymore)

With regards to this, armel seems to be an "active but infrequent" user. Meaning that you shouldn't modify his work without permission. (His last logon may hav been 8 months ago, but he's been a member for 5 years.) Thus the best alternative for you is to either forget it or create your own.

**As a side note, this is the exact reason why I havn't uploaded any of my resources onto THW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debode
Dinodin, you need permission. End of story.

Would you like it if you would make something, then someone would come and change it without asking you first? It's not so nice. Anyhow. Ask him. Get permission. Gl and hf.
No I wouldn't. That's why I protection my maps..I've asked for permission but I don't think he will answer becase he has not been inlogged since March this year -.- Search for WarMage on skins and u will see some users that has edited his models..

It takes less than 3 minutes for me to deprotect any map ^^, glad you 'dont mind'
can i have a copy of your game? :)

Im just sayin...

I really dont care if anyone edits my stuff... or whatever, but people should still respect others wishes, (and not edit) models without permission

although i think it should be the other way around, where you can edit, unless they specifically say you cant make any kind of edits..
there is also some differences between "editing" a model, and making it weaponless for example...

with editing someones model you are deforming it, maybe in a way they dislikle, and with their reputation linked to it, they may get disliked for something they didnt do to their model

Level 14
Well I don't think armel will care if I just redesign his model. I mean, he have gave permission to others that have reskinned his model and uploaded it here. So I don't think he will care and he has not even been inlogged since March so he maybe have stop playing wc3 and doesn't care about this site... I think they should make an option that allows the uploader to unable editing of it's uploading models so they can't be stolen..

Level 14
if he hasnt logged on in a while, and he doesnt have any other contact methods in his profile, i dont think hive rules mind? ive seen it done b4
I don't think so either. I'm not going to upload that model here anyway, so pls someone, help me edit it! I can skin it by myself but I need to get rid of his elvish ears and big eyebrows and I would also like to add druid of talon beard to him.

if he hasnt logged on in a while, and he doesnt have any other contact methods in his profile, i dont think hive rules mind? ive seen it done b4

We do mind. We just can't be everywhere at once so as long as you keep it on the down-low we probably won't find out.

It shouldn't be that hard to edit out the eyebrows and stuff! Just open up the model in magos' editor (aka War3ModelEditor) and scale the eyebrows to 0, or if that doesn't work, to 0.001.

Level 14
We do mind. We just can't be everywhere at once so as long as you keep it on the down-low we probably won't find out.

It shouldn't be that hard to edit out the eyebrows and stuff! Just open up the model in magos' editor (aka War3ModelEditor) and scale the eyebrows to 0, or if that doesn't work, to 0.001.
I have tried that but it's just to make selection places so I can't see where eyebrow points is..and the model is just turn buggy if I remove the ears -.- Can anyone PRO do it to me pls?

eh you kinda contradicted yourself :p
we do mind, so goahead and do it quietly!
personally, models are rarely ever 'perfect' for your particular map situation, or sometimes you need variations (with diff weapons)

I figure if the author doesnt feel strong enough about a model to leave other contact info (something they do check LONG term, like an email, ect)
then once they are uncontactable, whats a mapper to do?
PS, id like to get all the reasons modelers/mappers dont want someone else working on their resource, long after their gone.

1. afraid they wont leave credit?
Its not like your around anyways..., or itl get you a job offer
2. afraid they will butcher the model, and leave credit, giving you a bad rap?
Same as above..., oh and its probably your 'avitars' name on the line, not your own...
3. afraid that your resource will get forgotten for their 'improved' version?
If anything with the publicity of the previous, people will more often stumble into your version. and again its not like your earning royalties on it anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.