• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple hero learning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
(solved) Simple hero learning question

I followed the hero tutorial here on the site to make a hero that learns abilities. It worked fine with one ability, but when I have 2 abilities I have a simple problem:

When I learn my first hero ability, it doesn't detract the number of points I have to spend. So at level one I can learn both the skills and still have points left over.

I think it might have something to do with the submenu button on the command card. On the Command Card for the hero I am asked to put the "Learn Ability" in a drop down menu. When I only had 1 ability I put that there and it worked fine. But now I have two abilities and I don't know which of the two to put...or neither.

I also don't know what Submenu Sticky is.

Thanks for the help as always.

EDIT: I think I might have figured it out. It looks like you only use one Learn ability even if you have multiple abilities. And that learn ability has different levels with different buttons representing the different abilities you could learn.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
EDIT: I think I might have figured it out. It looks like you only use one Learn ability even if you have multiple abilities. And that learn ability has different levels with different buttons representing the different abilities you could learn.
Yes, so for a WC3 style skill system (where you have 4 learnable abilities) you need to add all 4 abilities into the same single learn ability and give that to the hero. Remember that the submenu order must be that of the learn ability (show available points show) and that the actual learn ability buttons them selves link to the learn ability orders for specific abilties. To use the abilities, you link them to a button as normal and they will only appear on the command card once learned. You need to link all usable abilities to the hero as well as the learn ability for them. There are apparently some complications when an ability reaches maximum level (still need to test this).

Level 14
Yes, so for a WC3 style skill system (where you have 4 learnable abilities) you need to add all 4 abilities into the same single learn ability and give that to the hero. Remember that the submenu order must be that of the learn ability (show available points show) and that the actual learn ability buttons them selves link to the learn ability orders for specific abilties. To use the abilities, you link them to a button as normal and they will only appear on the command card once learned. You need to link all usable abilities to the hero as well as the learn ability for them. There are apparently some complications when an ability reaches maximum level (still need to test this).

One of the tutorials here shows how to add a restriction to one of the learn buttons so that when the ability is maximum level it hides the button. I haven't tested it yet, but it made sense.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.