• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple Doodad Ideas Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Alright so I just made my first doodad, http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/wooden-barricade-158250/. It was quite a "success", but I want to make some more models and might as well keep doing doodads for while. And I'm totally out of ideas. So please post your ideas for any simple doodad that you would want me to make.
Please note that I am not very skilled in modeling and can't do any advanced stuff.
Thx in advance!

Level 3
Ooh! I should have checked here first before I posted my request. I do have several doodads in mind though if you wouldn't mind making them?
1. A bowl of gruel.
2. A bowl of vegetable or tomato soup.
3. A pie.
4. A bowl of salad.
5. A sandwich.
6. A plain cake, bread, or roll. Whichever seems easiest.

I just remembered something else. I need a model of a cucumber.. that doesn't spin. xD

Level 13
Ooh! I should have checked here first before I posted my request. I do have several doodads in mind though if you wouldn't mind making them?
1. A bowl of gruel.
2. A bowl of vegetable or tomato soup.
3. A pie.
4. A bowl of salad.
5. A sandwich.
6. A plain cake, bread, or roll. Whichever seems easiest.

I just remembered something else. I need a model of a cucumber.. that doesn't spin. xD

Uhm, not really the type of doodads that I intended to make but I'll try to do some of them!
Btw are you making a cooking map? Oh and do you want some hot steam coming from the soup?

Level 3
Hmm.. well steam isn't necessary. Preferably very small file sizes so it would be best if the steam isn't there although if you can add it without it impacting the filesize much then that would be fine.

It's basically a survival/adventure style map. It has a bit of everything in it. Well.. there's no building a town or leading an army. I basically wanted a "survive on a desert island" type map that's not competitive or fast paced like all those other Wilderness Survival maps I've played, so I decided to make one.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that I can always change the scale of the items, so if it's easier to make an epic loaf of bread.. then that's fine because I can always lower the size to 10% or whatever.

If I can think of any other doodads I'll let you know. =]

Edit 2: Actually I just remembered something. I'm currently using various random plants for these but something that looks more like the real thing would actually be better. These aren't necessary but if you make them then I'll be sure to use them.

Bean Vine
Cucumber Vine
Lettuce Plant (and lettuce.. currently using an apple with color set to green)
Tomato Vine
Pumpkin Vine

Level 3
The tomato soup model doesn't seem to show up. I'm pretty sure I did everything right. Does it use internal textures?

Edit: And yes, I did restart World Editor after adding it/saving the map.

Edit 2: Opened it with WC3 viewer and all I could see was 3 needles, forming a triangular shape.

Level 3
I'll redownload it and try again.

Edit: Still doesn't work. Also, I did nothing wrong. I even went ahead and gave it the benefit of the doubt and tested the map with the item laying on the ground, despite it being a green & black colored square. It did not even show up.

Maybe you were just really lucky karland90? Or do I have to convert it to work with Warcraft 3 first?

Edit: Also, it seems odd that the file says, "3 views" when I've downloaded it 3 times and you have downloaded it once. Shouldn't it be 4 views?

Last edited:
Level 13
I'll redownload it and try again.

Edit: Still doesn't work. Also, I did nothing wrong. I even went ahead and gave it the benefit of the doubt and tested the map with the item laying on the ground, despite it being a green & black colored square. It did not even show up.

Maybe you were just really lucky karland90? Or do I have to convert it to work with Warcraft 3 first?

Edit 2: I noticed there are 3 references to textures LordSNatural.blp, white.blp, and white.blp and the path is only textures/. I thought most texture paths involved units/ doodads/, etc..

Edit 3: Also, it seems odd that the file says, "3 views" when I've downloaded it 3 times and you have downloaded it once. Shouldn't it be 4 views?

Whatever, just drop it. I think karland will make something similar to it soon. And anyways I do not find soup models and stuff like that very useful. And I just want some ideas, and if I like the idea I'll make it.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/snowpine-114724/?prev=search%3Dsnow%2520tree%2520pine%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20
Here's a smexy winter tree.

Level 13
I thought you were just fishing for ideas for simple doodads that would be easy to make, so you could practice making models. Did you want an idea for something more.. particular? Like structural entities?

Based on your previous work, I'd suggest a wooden mine shaft. I haven't seen one of those yet.

http://www.cherylweber.com/photos 2 slideshow/images/nevada mine shaft.jpg

Yeah a bit more like that, and that's not a bad idea.
You think it would look best if it was just an entrance to the mine?

Level 3
Actually I think several versions would be nice. Kinda like the 7 tier house I saw here recently. That way it could work as an upgradeable building.

That implicates animating it too though, so I'd suggest going with whatever seems easiest to do for now.

It might look better with just the entrance. Hmm...

Maybe you could make 2 different doodads? A mine entrance and that wooden tower thing that goes over top of it.

Level 3
Maybe he meant froots? That is defined on urbandictionary, although I don't think that would be something that would grow on a tree.

Or maybe you are right and he is just a very bad speller?

Either way, fruit trees would make nice models for Warcraft 3, but I don't think the OP is up to the task, considering they already stated they can't do trees very well.

Ideally though, a bare tree with attachments for fruit attachments would be... ideal. xP

Level 9
Yeah "frootz" was intentional, im a VERY good speller (I hope). Now what about uhh... Footman equipment? Ya' know, neatly stacked like a fruit basket?

Level 7
You should explore functional doodads (i.e. destructables)...

Like toilets that flush, showers that turn on, usable sinks.... doors that open..

et cetera.

Level 9
Kinda like this...

Attachments

• Footman stuff.png
    Footman stuff.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 52
Level 3
OK the here are my ideas:
Some creeps heads on spikes (wolf, dragon, murloc, naga etc and etc)
Some medieval artilery like balista or catapult
Some arcane torches in blood elven style (something like blue glowing torch floating in air)
Some paladin's book emitting sunlight
Some thing inside the spider web like a victim
Will post something else if get an idea.
GL :)

Level 13
Some arcane torches in blood elven style (something like blue glowing torch floating in air)

Now THAT'S what I've been looking for! Great ideas, will see if I can't start making some of em right now!

Level 9
Here are some ideas...

Skeleton on a chair.
Skeletons on chairs around a table.
Skeleton in footman armor sitting down (not on a chair).
Skeleton in archer equipment on the floor.
Skeleton with a spoon.
Skeleton with some stuff stuck inside it.
Skeleton that failed to guard a treasure chest.
Skeleton like a lamp post with it's skull on fire.
Skeleton that was playing some dota.
Skeleton statue.
Skeleton bits clumped into a pile.
Skeleton that failed to get over a metal fence.
Skeleton with an oversized sword stuck in the ground (the sword that is).
Skeleton with a tophat and cane.
Skeleton that was filthy rich.
Skeleton made out of weapons.
Skeleton drenched in blood.
Skeleton that failed to climb out of the ground.
Skeleton in a sar-cough-igg-us that failed to get out.
Skeleton with a live bomb that never explodes except when attacked.
Skeleton in a pit of lava/ice.
Skeleton on top of a tower.
Skeleton that failed to wake up alive.
Skull tower.

Is that good enough of a suggestion now?

BTW the footman stuff went wild, it was very creepy and I was actually concerned about my health.

Attachments

• bladestorm.png
    bladestorm.png
    421.3 KB · Views: 79
  • what the hell is that.png
    what the hell is that.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Level 13
Here are some ideas...

Skeleton on a chair.
Skeletons on chairs around a table.
Skeleton in footman armor sitting down (not on a chair).
Skeleton in archer equipment on the floor.
Skeleton with a spoon.
Skeleton with some stuff stuck inside it.
Skeleton that failed to guard a treasure chest.
Skeleton like a lamp post with it's skull on fire.
Skeleton that was playing some dota.
Skeleton statue.
Skeleton bits clumped into a pile.
Skeleton that failed to get over a metal fence.
Skeleton with an oversized sword stuck in the ground (the sword that is).
Skeleton with a tophat and cane.
Skeleton that was filthy rich.
Skeleton made out of weapons.
Skeleton drenched in blood.
Skeleton that failed to climb out of the ground.
Skeleton in a sar-cough-igg-us that failed to get out.
Skeleton with a live bomb that never explodes except when attacked.
Skeleton in a pit of lava/ice.
Skeleton on top of a tower.
Skeleton that failed to wake up alive.
Skull tower.

Is that good enough of a suggestion now?

BTW the footman stuff went wild, it was very creepy and I was actually concerned about my health.

Those are very good suggestions :p And to be honest I never tried the model out, will try to fix it now. You like skeletons huh? :D

Edit: Fixed it, here you go.

Newominus, I'll make some of those doodads probably but all the skeletons gave me an idea of a skeleton impaled to the wall by a spear or something, what do you think about that?

Attachments

• Footman.mdx
    14.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 14

some heads have been made. i will attach it to the post later if i get my internet back on w3 computer. but these arent that good and they arent on hive, so i think go ahead and make some good models ^^

there are some of ballista and catapults.

though generally these are good ideas and surely better than most mentioned so far.

EDIT: attachments

Attachments

• Heads on Spears.zip
    48.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Level 9
Newominus, I'll make some of those doodads probably but all the skeletons gave me an idea of a skeleton impaled to the wall by a spear or something, what do you think about that?

Could be useful :mwahaha:

Edit: Try to count how many times "could be useful" has been said.

Level 13
Keep the ideas coming guys, and remember that I might make the doodad you suggest!
I've decided that I'll make only one more doodad (for a while, might make more later) because after that I'm going to do either attachments or animated models (units and stuff).

Level 3
how about some statues? editor already has night elven huntress, spider and something else. My suggestion is some epic statues like arthas, illidan, azgalor and other heroes OR just random creeps. Could be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.