• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Sight Question and Making Units unselectable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I got two questions:

1. Is it possible to show an isolated unit (with its HP bar being visible if the camera is moved to that unit's location) but I need that unit to have no vision.

2. How can I make buildings unselectable without using 'Aloc' and still having its minimap icon still shown. I tried add 'Aloc' and ShowUnit(u, true) but the minimap icon disappear.

Level 12
1. I don't know if this is possible. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

2. You could have a no-model dummy unit that has the icon underneath it. Without a model, it is unselectable and shows no health bar iirc (though you could make it invulnerable if it does show up - pretty sure that hides it).

Level 23
1. I don't know if this is possible. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

2. You could have a no-model dummy unit that has the icon underneath it. Without a model, it is unselectable and shows no health bar iirc (though you could make it invulnerable if it does show up - pretty sure that hides it).

1. I want a unit to be visible wherever it is but I need that unit to have no vision.

2. Weird, I tried that earlier but now it works. #2 is solved.

Level 12
Is it an ally to players? You could trigger the vision for the players if they are not allied. Otherwise, floating text shows up in fog of war iirc.

Level 23
Is it an ally to players? You could trigger the vision for the players if they are not allied. Otherwise, floating text shows up in fog of war iirc.

No it is your own unit. Floating Text would not work because I need the unit to be visible (you can click it, look at its stat, hp, mana, abilities) but I also need it to have no vision.

Level 12
Hmmm as far as I know, that is not possible. You could have some way to allow the player to select it (they do something and it selects this unit via triggers) and then they can hotkey it or something, but I don't think you can make it clickable through the fog of war.

Level 23
Hmmm as far as I know, that is not possible. You could have some way to allow the player to select it (they do something and it selects this unit via triggers) and then they can hotkey it or something, but I don't think you can make it clickable through the fog of war.

Yeah I doubt it was possible. Still maybe it is, I don't know.. That is why I asked if it was possible.

If you play Dota 2, Bloodseeker has an ability that allows him to see Heroes with very low HP as well as the Sentry Wards in Dota 2 has no vision but it is still visible.

Level 12
Bloodseeker's ability can be done by making dummy units that move to the victim's location. It works because the units they follow are enemies, so they don't change the vision of the enemy (the unit that has vision on them).

Sentry wards do have vision, don't they? I thought it was just very short. Either way, the detection ability has its own separate range that's not tied to actual vision range.

Status
Not open for further replies.