1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Siege of Helms Deep v5.0.9

Submitted by Vuormalainen
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Contents

Siege of Helms Deep v5.0.9 (Map)

Reviews
14:15, 21st Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2: I see an improvement from the previous version, now here is my short review: I have played quite some Helms Deep maps, and I must say this one does differ itself. The terrain was done greatly, really...
  1. 14:15, 21st Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2:

I see an improvement from the previous version, now here is my short review:

I have played quite some Helms Deep maps, and I must say this one does differ itself. The terrain was done greatly, really catching an epic feeling, that Helms Deep consists of. On some places there a bit too much rocks, but overall well done. Now, what I didn't like was the camera system. You shouldn't use dialogs for that, rather type in. And when I do switch the camera, an pan over one second is better then an immidiate pan. The idea isn't original, it was seen a lot of times before. The spells could require some more work, they should be triggered and done better. Anyway, this concludes my short review, Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating. Good job in making this map, polish it as much as possible, it would be a shame if I don't approve, and it allready has one T-Up for approval from a mini mod.

2. Youknowho

Youknowho

Resources:
    Resources:
    Best Helms Deep I ever played!!

3. Tau Empire

Tau Empire

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Another Helms Deep map, I gonna have to count how many I have played I will review this after playing it.

Alright finished playing this as the White Hand

- Uruk-kai Spear Throwers don't exist but they do have pike men lol
    - No Ballistas?
    - How come every Helms Deep map you have to blow up the wall before destroying the gate?
    - The way of getting resources (Iron scrape) is fun
    - Terrain is really well made
    - Music isn't LOTR but still it does fit with the map, sorta, I still rather having LOTR music in it lol.
    - That wound system or whatever it was called (50% chance of reducing movement speed) it's a bit to high lower it to 30 % around.
    - Now for sure that it's like the movie so good job on that.
    - Balancing needs fixing (3 vs 4, and still helms deep lost, cause of those spear throwers.)
    - Thank god you put that attack command to the Warlord instead of selecting 12 units attack, select another 12, attack etc...
    - Gold is useless for Helms Deep other than horses...

Overall I give it a 4/5

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks alot. Going to add the ballistas very soon but not sure if Uruk's will have time to use em, all happens so fast^^ But you mean for large ladders right? Thanks for telling there aint spearthrowers, tried to get pikemen but can't find any :(

You have to blow the wall first so it is more like the movie^^ Else everyone could give their resources to one guy who builds the ram and they kinda instant win.

Haha ye, I got a huge problem with finding lotr music, if you could help me that would be freaking nice.
    I'll have a look at "wound system"

Balancing, should I remove spear throwers? Then they only can get money in beginning by making ladders and climb with em, but if they fail, they can't win as crossbowmen costs.

Ye the gold for defenders. dunno yet, maybe gonna make em able to get ballista, catapults or something dunny really..

5. Tau Empire

Tau Empire

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will gladly help you with this.

-Music is so easy to find lol

-Removing the spear throwers could help, pikemen can be still troll headhunters

-Add some upgrade armor or weapons to help them out survive longer (same with defenders)

- Hmm Balistas are gonna be for large ladders I guess or just a simple giant missile doing splash damage.

- I have notice lagging issues and graphical errors when the archers of the Deeping wall and a mass of Uruk-kai Spearthrowers are fighting each other.

- I dont think range should do damage to the gates I mean your throwing a arrow at a wooden door it has 50/50 chance it will pierce through but it won't crack...

Here are 3 musics I decided to cook up (note that it is legal when the fact that I edited these music files for non-commercial usage, also the reason why there is a 2 at the end of the title is because it's the edited version of the original.)

Attached Files:

6. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As I said "Then they only can get money in beginning by making ladders and climb with em, but if they fail, they can't win as crossbowmen costs." And Troll spearthrowers and the ones I use both hits "down" so it won't fit a pikeman very good.

I had upgrades before but alot people forget that and I don't see it very "real" to do that when you are under siege^^

Ye I know about that lagging and graphic errors but don't really know how to fix em. Removed most buff special effects, think that helped a little. Well it would help if I made corpses disapear faster, how? Something with the decay in unit editor, thats all I know, if you know tell please.
    And/or make all units 2x better but reduce how many there are. 5 Uruks per grp ex,ex.

Ballistas, will start working now.

Range does damage to gate, but very very little, isn't that enough? :p

I'll try the musics.

7. Tau Empire

Tau Empire

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok for the decaying part, go to Advanced/Gameplay Constants, you will find Decay Time on it.

Put around 5 to 8 normal uruk-kais 2/3 berserkers 5 crossbows and maybe give the uruk-kais a bit more money to start off with.

Im not sure if you notice but there is a Uruk-kai model in this site and it has no weapons on it so you can attach them if you like.

8. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That model is 1.8 MB size :/

9. Malcous

Malcous

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice map

10. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks ^^

11. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is it possible to have the changelog here too? :)

Also some more description, like features? ^^

Best Helms deep I've played but still haven't played full house so don't know really.

12. pippo

pippo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    i'd like to see some triggers...for example the gates one...you said it's the best but if i can't open the map i really won't know how it's made -.-

13. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for that and ye sure, I'll add the changelogs here.
    Comments like yours want be to keep improving it ;)

Keep that in private message please. And I ment that if you check the map in-game you will probably understand how to do it. If not, I suggest to not make any guides, sorry. But I might make an guide of it myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  14. bounty hunter2

bounty hunter2

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well I must say this isn't bad, I'l review soon.

15. Racoon

Racoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very well made terrain and nice models-this brings back the original helms deep. But, you should add more models for the uruks and have some more units for free peoples- not elven archer/warrior rohan archer/knight/warrior. Add king's guard knights, longbow archers(really good dmg and range but have extremely low hp) and some rohan townspeople fighters.-miltia and whatnot. Plus, it would be cool to have gandalf playable in the last rideout- red can control him. And i disagree at the time forth eorlingas happens- it happense before gandalf arrives-should be at same time even if great hall gate is destroyed. U should also add theoden, hama, and gamling to the playable heroes- basically, make it like all the other helms maps cept keep the current heroes and the amazing terrain. Uruks need some pikeman, crossbow men also- Brutal archer model could be used, cept toned down a bit?

The music is great- but LOTR music would make it even better. Overall when I hosted this yesterday, I had alot of fun with it. also, make the great hall a bit bigger- and I have no clue what the door next to it leads to- just a dead end?

Overall

8.5/10

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  16. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

More models makes the map larger file, and I hate those maps and theres alot of people that will be kicked becouse it takes so long to download.

I will add Milita for the defenders to "buy".

Gandalf playable? No thanks. What if that player would be afk? Or if he would ruin it, no thanks. Still want it to be alittle like the movie.

Forth eorlingas, so think about it. If you would be theoden, aragorn and those who was there. Dont you think they would ride out anyway, if gandalf wouldnt come?

I'am gonna add theoden yes, and the others too maybe.

I can't find a nice model for the pikeman but I might search again. They already have crossbowmen.

Yes if you look some posts before you, theres a guy who posted some music. I might use the mordor one.

Hero quests, what should they get by doing that? But that actually gave me a idea which I wont tell, thanks alot.

The hall is kinda big and if i make it bigger it would destroy the cellar. And it really doesn't need to big, eh? The door, its to the cellar, just something I did for fun, might put items down there or something secret;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  17. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  18. Racoon

Racoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for clarifying things and I hope that "secret hero quest idea" comes through well. Also edited post for the unecessary suggestions. Well hall doesn't need to be big, but adding King Theoden's throne seat would be nice- maybe some doodads in the hall thats all.

19. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright, teach me!

Ah okey. Sorry if it sounded like I said "make it better yourself" tho

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009