1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Short Story Contest #9: Theme Discussion

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Keiji, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So, if we're all done discussing the theme, I'll move onto making a poll.

I'll give it a couple days first, though, in case there's to be some last minute
    suggestions.

2. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd love to drop back to some fundamentals. Why don't we do a story set in a Blizzard IP. Like a story set during the events of Warcraft III, its expansion, or any novels released before World of Warcraft?

3. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well this sounds cool and I feel making an Overwatch story. Though there may be stuff life copyright stuff but we aren't publishing this so I think it's safe. Not sure how mods can decide though.

4. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is safe, fan fiction isn't illegal as long as you don't make money on it.

Also, I like that Overwatch idea, basically: Tell the back-story of one of the characters.

5. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Will maybe sound stupid, but what would it be like? Taking a character, such as Naisha or Jaina and then telling her side of the story fit into the current lore, or making it before/after Wc3 happened?

6. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Anything that take place on a Blizzard universe.

7. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So it's basically making anything but with a pre-defined already existing char? Seems cool.

8. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Exactly, and as far as I know, none of the Overwatch characters have a back-story yet,
    so basically, you don't have to reinvent it either.

9. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oh well, there are shorts coming about in 2016 on march somehow but we could as well write for Warcraft, Starcraft(maybe to add epilogues to characters since Starcraft 2 story already ended as of yesterday) or maybe Diablo with it lack of stories and what I'm interested at is Blackthorne, RnRR and Lost Vikings.

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm not particularly interested in Blizzard Backstories. OC is where it's at. But hey, let's vote.

11. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't like a SC2 specifically only theme tho. I thought Overwatch was a title, not a pre-defined set of chars to pick from. For one, because I never played, and prolly never will, anything from SC series.

I do like the idea to write a random sidekick's story from Wc3 universe. We could expand that to sc2 universe too I guess.

12. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd be down to be as broad or narrow as anyone wants in regards to which blizzard IP. I do believe that it is a very interesting challenge to create your own original space within the confines of another story, environment, or character. So yeah, I'd love to do a story set within any one of the blizzard worlds.

13. Traxamillion

Traxamillion

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not a bad idea. I think it's safe to say we are all fans of various blizzard stories, creating something within one of their universes is challenging yet doable. I'm also very much for original content. At this point I say we vote on some of the things we have and get the ball rolling.

14. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah. Vote Vote!

15. Razosh

Razosh

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd have to agree too, firstly I think it would be a great concept and secondly I think it's easier for people to get sucked into a story if they know the characters. Don't get me wrong if you sit down and read something like the Inheritance Cycle you're going to get great attachement to Eragon, Solembum and Arya. But the amount of attachment that people feel toward a newly made up short-story character is always going to be limited.

16. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, sure (maybe), but just to play devil's advocate, is that not the true challenge of short-form narrative, doing much with little? The ability to develop that attachment, or at least involvement in the story you are telling with few words placed well is the hallmark of strong writers. Its what defines a lot of writers, like Leo Tolstoy or Ray Bradbury or Issac Asimov or Stephen King or Poe.

That being said, I believe the skill to mold another's work into your own involves challenge of the same degree, but in an altogether different vein. How much can you truly make that world your own, and how much is leveraged against the existing strength of the body of work?

17. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  18. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If nobody else makes it, I'll make it tomorrow.

19. Razosh

Razosh

Resources:
    Resources:
    What happened to this?

20. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins: