• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #1: Confrontation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png

number.png
1.png

186519-albums3700-picture54415.png

Confrontation

Contestants are required to write a story that will lead the readers in the heart of the battle against two (or more!) sides. The story can be written in both realistic, futuristic and abstract worlds, as long as the theme of battle is used. Dazzling and realistic descriptions, sword swings, intricate spellchants, tension and knotted battles will buff your way up, while slow-paced and monotone stories, with easily predictable endings will drag you down. "Good versus Evil" types of stories are not the only ones allowed - use your imagination.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Entries have to be written in fluent English. Entries that are illegible will be disqualified.
  • Entries have to follow the theme.
  • Entries have to be completely written by yourself - from scratch - plagiarism and teamwork are not allowed.
  • Entries must have range of words anywhere in between: from 3 5oo to 1o ooo words.
  • At least one WiP (Work in Progress) must be presented before the deadline. WiP is a proof that the story is written by yourself.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
judges.png

• Available slot - ask us if you want to judge.
  • Available slot - ask us if you want to judge.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Checking FieldExplanationScoring
Originality:Your entry has to be original - plagiarism and too much of similarity with some other stories will reduce your score. New twists, unseen tales and unexpected moments will increase your score.Up to 10 points to score in this section.
Creativity:Amount of used freedom you were given is judged in here. Twists, knots, tension and amount of information given (overdrowning, perfect or harshly low) are the primary checking fields.Up to 10 points to score in this section.
Theme Follow:Your ability to abide to the theme, but also to implement new and unseen moments at perfect spots.Up to 25 points to score in this section.
Flow (Pace):Your skills in timing are valued here, mostly your interpretation of time within the story, and the successful evasion of too much of time skipping. Stories must have some sort of time, whether it will pass slowly, locking the story within a long period, or rapidly, stretching it over a day or even an hour.Up to 20 points to score in this category.
Characterization:The level of development of your characters, the amount of details you used to present them to readers, and the flow of their physical and psychical states over the story. Change of characters is also counted.Up to 25 points to score in this category.
Eloquence:Effective aesthetics and grammar critiques are judged here. Separation of chapters (if any), paragraphs (if any) and parts of sentences with interpunction signs (if any) will affect your score.Up to 10 points to score in this category.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judges.
  • 30% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 1th of January, year of 2012, and conclude on 19th of February, year of 2012, 23:59 GMT (50 Days)

Level 2
Hmm, seems kinda good theme to write. And Yeah why #1, since last one was #8 if i rememebr correct.

I would like to join, but I have 1 question: My english grammar is kind of bad, so Am I allowed to use help ONLY for grammar fixing. Since I would like to join, but withour grammar help my entry would be probably not be counted in.

Also is this old topic since the start of this was on 1. January ?

Status
Not open for further replies.