• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Shooter Defense v3.0 Z

Map Name : Shooter Defense
Current Version : 3.0 Z
Author : TheWye
Genre : Defense/Minigame/Shooters

Introductions
Shooter Defense is a real-time action styled shooting game. It is a small and simple map, but the triggers are sophisticated and it is loaded with some 2D dynamics physics. Perhaps a simple description of the gameplay of this map is that it is a combination of Tower defense, Pudge Wars and Warlocks.

Its like tower defense!
Like tower defense, the main objective of this map is to prevent creeps from entering a certain region in the map. If any creeps enters the region, the life will start to decrease and the players lose if the life reaches 0. However, unlike traditional tower defense game, in this map, the units that shoots and kills the enemies are not buildable towers, but are mobile riflemen units called "shooters". Players start with a shooter at the beginning of the game and can hire more shooters as the game progresses. A shooter does not have any basic attacks but they can equip different weapons to shoot the enemies to kill them.

Its like warlocks!
Another main feature of this map is that it is infused with some real world 2 dimensional dynamics physics to improve the gameplay of the map. Physical concepts like Kinematics, Momentum & Kinetic Energy transfer, Elasticity and Coefficient of Restitution are evident and can be observed while playing this map. Or in other words, units bounces on walls and they also bounce on each other. This is where it is similar with Warlocks.

Another similarity this map has with Warlocks is that weapons do not only deal damage (and/or spell effects) but they also deal "blast energy". Blast energy (or just energy for short) is the term used to describe the kinetic energy received by a unit when they are shot with certain weapons. When a unit is shot with a weapon they do not just receive damage but they also get blown away by the weapon. The higher the energy of the weapon the stronger the blast effect it can deliver. And creeps also have masses. The heavier a unit the more inertia it has, the more difficult it is to blast it with your weapons.

Its like pudge wars!
Another difference with the tower defense map is that the shooters does not attack with warcraft 3's target auto acquiring system. To shoot a weapon, you equip the weapon and point the target with your mouse and use the mouse click to fire the weapon on your own. This is where the "real-time action" part of the map comes from and also where it is similar to pudge wars.

=================================================================

Gameplay System:
Firing a Weapon
This game as mentioned above has several unique gameplay system, one of them is how to fire a weapon. To fire a weapon, you don't use your left click for abilities casting but you use your right click button instead. Below is the instructions for firing a weapon.
1. Equip the weapon by clicking on in in your inventory. A message saying "Current Weapon : ||weapon name||" will appear on your screen. The equipped weapon will become undroppable.
2. Use the Take Position ability on your shooter. Your shooter will now become immobile. And everytime you command your shooter to move by right clicking, you are ordering the shooter to attack that target point instead.
3. When you order your shooter to fire, a colorful bar will appear on top of your shooter's head which indicates the cooldown for the weapon. That shooter will be able to shoot again if the bar goes empty.
4. If you want to drop the equipped weapon, you have to disarm the weapon first. If a weapon is disarmed, it becomes droppable but your shooters will not be able to shoot anymore.

Multiple Shooter Controlling
This issue may look quite difficult and complicated, but believe me, it is not. Controlling multiple shooters can be done in two ways.
1. Place all the shooters in position according to their weapons and use the take position button. Positioning your shooters are as important as building towers in the right places in tower defense games. Weapons with high energy should not be put opposite the goal since it will push enemy creeps in if it doesn't kill it. And some weapons are also more effective if used closed ranged.

or

2. If you are the type who prefers to run around and shoot people, then you can also move all the shooters together as though you are controlling just one shooter. If you want to start firing, just put all of them in position and start clicking on the general area of the target. This way, beautiful colorful rainbow of chaotic bullets and lightnings will decorate your computer screen immediately.

and also

3. Well okay, there is actually 3 ways, but this one may require you to be a genius or at least brilliant in microing units. The other way to control your shooter is by controlling them individually. I don't know if anyone is able to do it this way but I'm pretty sure I can't. But anyway, theoretically, this IS also a possible way to control your shooter.

=================================================================

Features:
-a unique real-time action styled defense map
-infused with 2D dynamics physics
-weapons not only deal damage but also "blasts" enemies back
-creeps collides with one another and with walls
-20 different weapons to choose from
-multiplayer up to 6 players
-30 waves of fun creeps

Inspired By:
Warlocks (Zymoran and Demestotenes), Pudge Wars (Various versions), Tower Defense (Various versions) and various Shooter styled Flash games especially MMM(Momentum missile mayhem) by DZ2001 & Requiem from Armor Games.

Have Fun!!

-= TheWye =-

Version 3.0 to 3.0 Z changes
General changes:
================
-Now wc3 version 1.24 compatible!!!!
-light armor now reduces spell damage by 10%
-medium armor now reduces spell damage by 25%
-hero armor now reduces spell damage by 50%
-fortified armor now reduces spell damage by 65%

Shooter Changes:
================

Bug Fixes:
==========

Creeps changes:
===============
-Elder Jungle Stalkers and Enraged Jungle Stalkers now have Hero armor
-Jungle Stalkers now have Medium armor
-Sludge Monstrosities now have Hero armor
-Howl's Moving Castles now have Fortified armor
-V.I.P now is Unarmored (who cares...)
-The King now has Hero armor
-Superarmored wave creeps now further reduces spell damage by 33%
-added spell damage reduction to some creeps (spell damage ignores armor reduction)

General weapons changes:
=====================
-first tier weapons now only displays information up till tier 2

Bonus changes:
==============

Wacky Mode changes:
===================

Keywords:
defense, shooter, unique, tower, pudge, wars, warlocks, physics, realistic, cooperate, cooperation
Contents

Shooter Defense v3.0 Z (Map)

Reviews
8:49, 16th June 2009 by bounty hunter2: Quite a nice shooter game, that adds some originality to the usual and regular shooter maps. What I suggest are special skills for shooters, perhaps different shooters that are choseable from taverns, aswell as...

M

8:49, 16th June 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Quite a nice shooter game, that adds some originality to the usual and regular shooter maps. What I suggest are special skills for shooters, perhaps different shooters that are choseable from taverns, aswell as more items and better terrain. You should also put some images to the description here, however put them in hidden tags please. Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating.

wow really? cool! although not that much downloads though.. I guess people prefer more traditional genres like TDs or Tags or hero defense

Tip: If you want, that more people download your map, put a nice map preview image into your map.

About the map:
I really liked it. It's something new, not always the same.
But the flying units use the teleports, maybe you change that.
And I think the serpent ward is a bit imba.

Level 3
Hey, I'm zonbi-desu. I'm the one that was asking for a host! ^_^

I got one of my friends to host it, and we had a blast. I had to leave part way through tho. It seems like it's a bit easy (we played fast mode, 4 players) in the beginning, but in the end it got really hard. I'll need to play more to tell whether thats good or bad =D

I love your map tho, I think it's really great. I love the different weapon ideas and the physics. I think tho you should try implementing a few new things:

New system: secondary weapon
instead of switching weapons, have a secondary' move ' ability so you can shoot your secondary weapon.

New weapon: Gravity gun?
Creates a large gravitation pull, pulling with a force of 20 million energy first level, and it goes up (40mill, 80mill, w/e). So it can be used to pull enemies in range or away from the pig and to setup cool team shots.

Level 3
Hi guys! Thanks for playing the map. I'm glad you liked it :)

New system: secondary weapon
instead of switching weapons, have a secondary' move ' ability so you can shoot your secondary weapon.

Hmm.. I have never had any plans to apply any secondary skills like that yet. But maybe I'll think about it for the future versions. Anyway, just to let you know, version 2.0 will be coming out soon and it will include a new mode. Its a more difficult mode that the normal mode so it is meant to be played by people who has finished the map. :)

New weapon: Gravity gun?
Creates a large gravitation pull, pulling with a force of 20 million energy first level, and it goes up (40mill, 80mill, w/e). So it can be used to pull enemies in range or away from the pig and to setup cool team shots.

Well.. I thought I already have a "Gravity Bomb" in the map? lolz. Do you know that there is a shop between the energy weapons shop and the projectile weapons shop? It is the explosives shop. A lot of people doesn't realize it exists because its too small.

Tip: If you want, that more people download your map, put a nice map preview image into your map.

I'll need think about that first... because the map size is so small so adding a map preview will like double or triple it size.

But the flying units use the teleports, maybe you change that.

The flying units using teleport wasn't intentionally planned. However, I find that it actually make it more fun since it adds to the randomness of the game - sometimes they use the teleport, sometimes they dont - , so I just left it that way.

And I think the serpent ward is a bit imba.

really? I thought the serpent wards are the suckiest basic weapons of all lol. Ok, I'll look into it.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, zonbi & amigurumi, appreciate it :grin::grin:

Level 3
Thanks for approving the map, bounty. Your ideas had actually given me some inspiration for my next updates. Thanks for that. However, how do I upload an image to the post?

EDIT: btw, version 2.0 will soon be out :thumbs_up:. Just need to test a new system and find a way to overcome one little !@$%!# bug :nemad::nemad::nemad::nemad::nemad::nemad::nemad:

Level 3
1) thanks again :p
2) ah.. thats quite troublesome isn't it? Maybe I'll do that sometime in the future
3) yeah~ I actually have just got more ideas for updating the map because of bounty's comments
4) well, don't expect so much yet :p the more significant system will come in future version, not this one.
5) sorry, I thought since the topic of the post is quite different so I post it as a new reply

EDIT:
Okay, version 2.0 is out. I'm still testing with the reload-bar-following-the-shooter codes. I know its a bit choppy, but if I make it smoother, it lags like hell. Perhaps due to some leaks that I haven't managed to find as well.... (lets hope its not). Anyway, I'm still working on it. Please report me if you find any bugs or you managed to find the memory leak source. Thanks & have fun :). More weapons and more wacky modes will be coming in the next version (2.1)

Last edited:
Level 3
this is a really funny map :D and with skill you can throw the chicken out of the square AND OUT OF MAP :)
but what about other upgrade costs ( for 500, 2000 and 6000 gold weapons different costs ) and a point system, where you can save your score and then get cool things next game

EDIT: like + firerate ( also weapon is faster cooling down ) or + damage or + distance or + energy :D

Level 3
you can throw the chicken out of the square AND OUT OF MAP :)

lol, that is actually an unwanted bug, but since it looks like you're having fun with it, so whatever lol.

but what about other upgrade costs ( for 500, 2000 and 6000 gold weapons different costs ) and a point system, where you can save your score and then get cool things next game

EDIT: like + firerate ( also weapon is faster cooling down ) or + damage or + distance or + energy :D

Well, sorry but I don't think I will update this map anymore. I'm working on a new and (I think) much better map so I'm quite preoccupied with it (and also with school works, blah!).
But thanks for the suggestions though, I'll keep that in mind if I decided to create another version of Shooter Defense :))