• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

shimmering portal (unit model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
hello everyone ....
i wanted to request a model based on the orginal wc3 portal
doodads\cinematic\ShimmeringPortal\ShimmeringPortal.mdl

i currently want to make an ability that its core base is the summoning of a unit with that model
and also giving it certain ability's to use while summoned.
but this model acts like an ability model
and as you may know ability models do not show spell animation effects if they are cast,
for example if i gave a footman a thunderclap ability and gave the footman a devine shield model

first of all i cant click on the footman i have to drag select it
second if i use the thunderclap ability it will not show the spell effect animation
third it wont show any animation if im using it as a summon ability and i want the summoned unit to have an animation happening right before the unit is summoned,

these are the same issues with the portal model
so if anyone can please help me and make a portal model that i "can" use all and every ability effect animation on it or to be cast from it just like a regular unit....

Level 11
I didn't get what you are looking for. Do you want a portal that can be summoned by a unit through an ability, and then that portal to have animations when it uses abilities?

Level 17
kind of ...

its like how the feral spirits are summoned and right on the spot a small red lightning effect happnes,
its like how the dark portal ability summons units and a bright glow happens right before the units are summons.

imagen i gave all of those units(feral spirits) an ability model
and also giving them some other ability for example thunderclap.... which has a lightning animation when its cast

well if i gave the summoned units an ability model rather then a actual unit model
non of the spell animations will play during both summoning them and using the thunderclap ability.

this is becuse the model im using is not a unit model but a spell model
and same goes with this portal its like a ability model.

and so i cant take a unit and just change its models looks and call it a day ....
the model itself has to work in the way that i told above

Level 11
What if you summon you portal through an ward-like ability (like Serpent Ward), and you replace the summoned unit with a portal (you can find it in Human campaign units). Then you will have a portal that can be summoned, with a birth animation, and you will be able to select it. However, there is neither stand work animation nor spell animation for that portal model, so yeah, you'd have to use a custom model for your portal if you want it to play animations when activating spells or training units. Or maybe you can trigger some special effects attached to the portal whenever it uses a spell a summons a unit.
Dunno if it helps!

Level 14
First of all, the lightnings/glows you see in situations like feral spirit summon or teleport usage are most likely special effects. They are not really a piece of the model of the summoned creature. They are independent models that act as special effect visual.
Special effects of your choice can be created via triggering at specific locations on a map, or on special points on the skeleton of models known as "attachment points". They can have only a set amount of names and their position on a model determines where the special effect wil be attached (just like attachment-weapons/armor)

Another issue is having special effects be displayed on a portal model.
What you call "spell models" are simply models without any attachment point. That is the reason why special effects don't display on them.
You just need a shimmering portal model with attachment points added. I thought that the one I linked before would have them but I was wrong. Hopefully it gets updated with attachment points.

Level 17
What if you summon you portal through an ward-like ability (like Serpent Ward), and you replace the summoned unit with a portal (you can find it in Human campaign units). Then you will have a portal that can be summoned, with a birth animation, and you will be able to select it. However, there is neither stand work animation nor spell animation for that portal model, so yeah, you'd have to use a custom model for your portal if you want it to play animations when activating spells or training units. Or maybe you can trigger some special effects attached to the portal whenever it uses a spell a summons a unit.
Dunno if it helps!

i already used the methods you say

First of all, the lightnings/glows you see in situations like feral spirit summon or teleport usage are most likely special effects. They are not really a piece of the model of the summoned creature. They are independent models that act as special effect visual.
Special effects of your choice can be created via triggering at specific locations on a map, or on special points on the skeleton of models known as "attachment points". They can have only a set amount of names and their position on a model determines where the special effect wil be attached (just like attachment-weapons/armor)

(Yes i know this already)

Another issue is having special effects be displayed on a portal model.
What you call "spell models" are simply models without any attachment point. That is the reason why special effects don't display on them.
You just need a shimmering portal model with attachment points added. I thought that the one I linked before would have them but I was wrong. Hopefully it gets updated with attachment points.

well thats kinda what im hoping someone would do :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.