• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shield Spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Yah, here I am... Tried making a shield similar to Abbadon in DotA, but my futile attempt only gave me minor results. Can anyone give me some ideas of how to make such a spell, without the AoE damage when it breaks?

My shield resulted in no regeneration, because I used a periodic event (0.05)
And if the unit had 100% it got damaged for some reason, but if it had 99% it did not take any damage:eekani:

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions.

Regards ~ ShadowMan

Level 13
The easiest way is a "takes damage" workaround, funny how often I say this in the last time ;P
The search function should tell you MUCH about the "any unit takes damage" workaround.

Then you have to know that this event fires a milisecond before the damage is made, but you have the exact value of the damage. Just add the damage to the life, subtract the damage from the shield life (you should attach the life with a system to the caster) and brake it when the life is zero.

When your heal would heal more then full life, make a timer with 0.00 time and heal at expiration, then the damage is made first and the heal is second.

The only problem would be if the damagesource would kill you instantly, don't know how WC3 handles this since I heard units die at 0.405 life and have some short time to get life back, don't know if this is true :)

EDIT: Just if you want to have an already finished one:
Although it's a german site, many of hive should know the maker XieLong :)
Scroll down until the spell "Word of Might"

Status
Not open for further replies.