• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Request: Spitfire Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello Hiveworkshop community-

I have been working on a spell called Spitfire Shield for some time now to no avail. I've tried GUI, JASS, and a combination of both but the combined mechanics of the spell are making it very hard to produce. Here is the basic idea of the spell:

The hero that uses the ability is the Keeper of the Flame, so I'll refer to him as the Keeper.

- When the hero casts the ability (it's a dummy ability based off Thunder Clap) it crates a large shield that hovers in front of the Keeper. The Keeper can still move around, and the shield will stay in front of the hero as long until it absorbs a certain number of hits (will probably be 4/5/6/7 attacks with 4 levels, but that's the least of my priorities for the spell).
- When a an enemy attacks or casts an ability that targets the Keeper, the game checks to see if the enemy is in front of the shield (basically a 180 degree radius in front of the Keeper). If the enemy is in front of the keeper, the attack/spell is ignored.
- Every time a spell is ignored the shield shoots a fireball in front of it.

What I have done:
-Creation of the shield and the synchronized movement with the caster.

Everything else is totally lost to me. I have yet to find a decent damage prevention system.

Please give some input, and I'll be sure to give rep!

Level 12
Aye, I'm not so sure about preventing a spell from activating on the hero, but you could do something like, an effect on the caster when he taeks te damage, he heals for some amount (base it on whatever you please) plus any damage that had been taken, as well as dispelling the offensive spell

Make some kind of cool effect too when it eats a spell :D

Then , put in the fireball part of the trigger (probably with a timer)

I'm not sure how this would work with ligtning effects, as there is just a little bit of time between the cast and the actual hit

I s'pose you could use an if/then + timer measuring out the distance.... should work ok

And then, for stopping chain effects and such.... eh I'm not so sure, perhaps giving every unit in range classification (or spell) immunity for .1 of a sec, (or use a timer for less) to null out the chain effect

Would be a bit of work, and thought, and trial and error, but I believe it could be done fairly effectively without too much deviation from the original spell-plan

For the unit attacking, that would be difficult, and is a problem that I have had problems with myself (enemies can't attack the shield as a dummy unit, as it is constantly moving ><), so I s'pose if you made the shield right in front of the caster (like an attachment) you could just run the effects off of a normal takes damage event

All of this would have to run with some kind of damage detection system, and probably some form of an I2H system

Level 1
Yeah it would all be an instant-heal for damage done, however I am having trouble implementing a working damage detection system.

Level 1
Problem solved! I used a basic "add event to trigger" damage checker that only counts for the casting unit. As for the position checker, I just made a range checker dummy unit 1000 units away, and the spell checks if the damage source is within 1000 units of the dummy. Now all I have to do is make the fireball trigger!

Status
Not open for further replies.