• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

set ability trigger not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Level 4
I am unable to get this trigger to work, I simplified it just to see if it something else was causing it not to work, but still nothing happens

Event-player types hi as an exact match
Action-Ability - Set Ability: (Item: Claws of Attack +15 0076 <gen>'s Ability with Ability Code: Item Damage Bonus (+15))'s Integer Level Field: Attack Bonus ('Iatt') of Level: 1 to 311

The above should be if I type Hi the claws of attack +15 item on my map should go from 15 damage to 311 damage.

Technically I am trying to do more then that of course, but once I can figure out why the basic portion of the trigger doesn't work the rest is easy. I can post the exact trigger I am wanting if needed.

Level 4
I tried that and still didn't work, but I'll try again with my simplied trigger as I'm not sure I tried it with that

Level 9
Hmm.. Strange. It does not indeed work. Didn't work with Command Aura either. (Interested in finding a solution for this as well, since making an ability with 500 levels seems so amateuristic :p)

Level 4
Some skills require an refresh before the modification takes in. Increase and decrease the ability Level for the unit, after having done the modifications. Auras and that stat passives need to be refreshed. That only works for skills supporting more than 1 Level.

nope, I tried adding a trigger to increase the ability level then decrease it, and still nope :(

Level 4
Ah, you try to change a skill of an item. That only works when the item is carried by an unit. Also when the item is droped the modifcation is lost again.
I tried that to, still didn't work :(

That is your trigger, concept wise?
  • Unit Item PickUp
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Ability - Set Ability: (Item: (Item being manipulated)'s Ability at index: 0)'s Integer Level Field: Attack Bonus ('Iatt') of Level: 0 to (Strength of (Triggering unit) (Exclude bonuses))
      • Unit - Increase level of Item: Damage Skill for (Triggering unit)
      • Unit - Decrease level of Item: Damage Skill for (Triggering unit)

Level 4
ok ya it worked :), on a few of my test the item I was testing with had the wrong ability lol, so for a bit it was all wasted trials of the things I was changing :(.
Is there anyway around the has to carry the item?
As I would like to see the stats before looting the item, as if I have to pick it up for the changes to happen, it will be hard to compare items, and also this would mean if I drop it and loot it again, it would be different (my items aren't a set stat, its random attributes)

Level 4
  • Unit Item PickUp
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Ability - Set Ability: (Item: (Item being manipulated)'s Ability at index: 0)'s Integer Level Field: Attack Bonus ('Iatt') of Level: 0 to (Strength of (Triggering unit) (Exclude bonuses))

Would there be a work around to not carrying the item?(I want to see the stats before looting it) I tried adding abilities to give multiple claws of attack but that didn't work either as they don't stack

also since the items I want are random in the stats they are giving, currently with the trigger you would be able to just drop it and pick it up again to get possibility better stats

Would there be a work around to not carrying the item?(I want to see the stats before looting it)
Description is independent from the abilities and works on non carried items.

I tried adding abilities to give multiple claws of attack but that didn't work either as they don't stack
Yes, sadly.

also since the items I want are random in the stats they are giving, currently with the trigger you would be able to just drop it and pick it up again to get possibility better stats
That is an example trigger, to demonstrate that it works when done that way. You could save data onto the item using a hashtable then on pickup apply the effect based on the saved data for that item.

But yeah that is all such a hassle you could end up with making a custom bonus system by items.

Level 4
Description is independent from the abilities and works on non carried items.

Yes, sadly.

That is an example trigger, to demonstrate that it works when done that way. You could save data onto the item using a hashtable then on pickup apply the effect based on the saved data for that item.

But yeah that is all such a hassle you could end up with making a custom bonus system by items.

Hmm I thought this trigger would be a lot easier. For the custom bonus sytem with items, would that be something easy to create, for a mostly average map maker?

You are right the description does work even though its not carried, which is weird because my description is set the to same thing the random # I generate for the damage field of that item
but it doesn't work out because then when I loot it the # changes. I tried then having a trigger to set the damage for the item ability to the tooltip, but that crashes the game when I loot the item :(.

Level 4
  • Unit Item PickUp
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions

Rather annoyingly, this method does not seem to work for attribute changes via triggers.

Seems to work absolutely fine with bonus damage, but I can’t seem to make it work for attribute bonuses.

Any ideas??

Rather annoyingly, this method does not seem to work for attribute changes via triggers.

Seems to work absolutely fine with bonus damage, but I can’t seem to make it work for attribute bonuses.

Any ideas??
The item attribute bonus skills do not support multilevels, hence they do not update when one uses the shown trigger.
If one uses the hero attribute bonus skill as base then this refresh works.

I also might miss understand you, and you want that bonus str increases the damage as well. In that case change the exclude boni to Include.

Last edited:
Level 4
The item attribute bonus skills do not support multilevels, hence they do not update when one uses the shown trigger.
If one uses the hero attribute bonus skill as base then this refresh works.

I also might miss understand you, and you want that bonus str increases the damage as well. In that case change the exclude boni to Include.

Basically, I wanted an item which gave you bonus intelligence equal to 100% of your base intelligence.

I was testing if this was possible by trying it with the bonus damage (which this thread is all about). (I had it so that you got bonus damage equal to 100% of your total primary attribute.)

When I get back from work, I’ll try your idea of using the Attribute Bonus skill and change that through triggers. I’ll post what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.