• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Server Split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
This is really baffling me, but something in my map is making it do a server split whenever someone who has been in a previous game is in a game with me. That is, the game splits me and all of the new folk into a separate game from those who have played before, but no one actually gets booted (at least not usually).

I have checked all of my triggers for any abnormalities many times and found nothing to speak of, but frankly I have no idea what would cause this in the first place. If anyone has seen this before and can offer some help it would be much appreciated. If you'd like to see my map to check the triggers and such I'm afraid you'll have to PM me your email as I don't have any kind of messengers like MSN or Yahoo.

I had someone look at it, not sure his skill at map making, and he remarked on the number of triggers, saying that could be the cause. Now, while I have no idea what the cause could be, I've seen maps with 5 times my triggers that work fine so I don't think that could be it, though mine was made completely in the basic WE.

Any (real) help is welcome and appreciated.

Level 8
Uhhh

I know I've seen something like this on a couple of TDs where everyone's comp was just as slow or as fast as eachother and they both got put into serparate games but I have no idea how a server split works...
But do you have a point of lag spikes or something? That might be the cause... Too many units beihng created at once etc?

Level 6
Nope, no lag spikes. It's as soon as the game starts, the second it starts, that it happens. It also only ever happens if one or more people in the game were in a past game. It happens every time I try to remake it, but never if I just make it.

And no, my triggers aren't doing much unit-creating. Most of the unit I've already placed in the game. Most of my triggers are actually dormant until someone sets them off, so they're not all going off at the start either.

Level 7
well to be honest i've never heard of 'rehosting desync' syndrome... i mean, gamecaches are wiped clean online, can't see anything else that would identify an old player

are you positive it isn't some intervening variable that possibly you just didn't recognize?

cause if it only splits people you've played with before i've never heard of it nor could i come up with a solution

Level 6
Here's what happens:
I make a game of my map, random people join, it's all good and we play the map. When we're finished, I then remake the map, a few people join who were in the previous game, I start it and as soon as the loading screen clears the game gets split into a game of those who were in the last agme and those who just joined this game, and I get put into one of the games with them.

If I remake the game once and no one who was in the last game joins it runs fine, and if I remake it again and people who were in the original game join this one it will still run fine. In addition, if I edit the map before I remake and people who were in the last game join it will usually not split, though I'm not sure exactly what I change to do this as it doesn't always work.

I've gone over every trigger that is activated in the initialization, changed them, and tested them many times and nothing in particular seems to work. I've isolated no factor that makes the difference.

If anyone wants to try it, I suppose I could submit the map to wc3sear.ch for download. It's just that I'd rather not due to that error, though everything else does work fine. Maybe if someone else could try rehosting it with people in the game who were in the previous game? It could be me, although it doesn't happen with any other games.

Level 6
Bit of a revelation in my search for the cause: I just had a server split when no one in the game had played it before. So, with the factor of previous players out what can be causing my server splits? Anyone?

Level 7
ahh, that sounds more reasonable :p

well, when does it split again? at the very beginning?

the problem is it sounds like its not doing it consistently... do you use any getlocalplayer() triggers? and just out of curiosity any randomized triggers?

Level 6
For starters, I don't/can't use JASS so that's out of it. Yes, it's at the very beginning within a few seconds of the loading screen going away. No randomized triggers, either, every trigger has a set event and action.

And btw, it's suddenly gotten so bad I've had to stop making it. Every game I make splits and I get tossed into a game with one other unlucky player.

Level 6
*bump*

So, no one knows what could cause repeated splits? There's no JASS in the map, and I'm not quite sure what Raptor meant by randomized but the only triggers that have any randomness to them are a few that say "Create unit at random point in region" and "Order unit to move to random point in region".

If the mods/admins don't mind it I could submit the map so that someone could look at the triggers, or host it to see if they get the same splitting problem. Everything in the map is finished and works fine except that one problem. Trying to find the problem by describing it is like giving a mechanic a description of your car and asking him what's wrong when you could just bring the car in and have him look at it, and doesn't seem to be working too well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.